Sunday, January 10, 2016

you used to call me on my cell phone, late night when you need my love

My extreme social schedule continues unabated, and I may crash by the end of it - but today was super fun. Of course, it started off in a slightly surly manner since I had four glasses of wine last night with John (whom I should perhaps introduce as someone who is generally in my friend circle, although it's confusing to introduce yet another John to the blog mix; we were trying to organize karaoke last night but the other people bailed, so we held to the drinking portion of the wine and karaoke evening), and also a lot of sugar, which made for a mildly unpleasant morning (my liver is still weeping for its easy vacation days in Iowa, but I'm whipping it back into shape).

But I got out of bed and through my morning routine in time to meet Lauren (aka Subz) for a quick brunch in her neighborhood. She seems good, but I've got to say our conversation didn't sell me on the idea of motherhood. Still, it was great to see her even though we only had an hour (again, not sold on motherhood), and hopefully I'll be in town again someday when she can get an hour away from zee baby.

Then I came home and was considering doing some epic cleaning of the apartment when Vidya (aka Chandlord) came over, shouted 'Ellis Act!' as she walked through the door, and proceeded to make me cry. That's actually all true, although perhaps those events were unrelated. But I made her some chai, and she curled up in my freshly-made bed, and we talked about all manner of things, and it was lovely (or lowely, as she would say). Then I gave her a ride to Castro Theatre, and came home and had an hour of solitude...

And then I drove to the glorious south bay to have dinner with Joann and Jen in San Mateo. You may remember Joann from my spinster honeymoon, and I continue to feel like I need to write that book someday. The three of us never catch up on weekends, but now we feel like we should only do this on weekends - it was nice to be leisurely about it, and I feel like we talked about work less, which may be because we weren't all coming straight from our jobs.

So we had dinner at Central Park Bistro; I had scallops with risotto, which was delicious, and then we split a couple of desserts. When we were finally done there, we adjourned to Grape + Grain, which was a wine/beer bar, where we watched a nasty head tackle during the end of the Steelers/Bengals game, and then promptly forgot all about it and continued to catch up in a delightful and dramatic fashion. We ended up staying there until after eleven, which is not soooo late...but we're all old, and we'd met at 6:30, and we all still had to drive home to our respective locations (San Mateo was kind of the midpoint for me and Joann), so we parted ways abruptly.

And then I came home, and now I need to sleep - I'm similarly overextended for the next few days, which means I need to get some actual work done tomorrow (and I'm weirdly excited to do it, so I should seize that momentum). Goodnight!

No comments: