Tuesday, January 26, 2016

it isn't you, isn't me, search for things that you can't see

I enjoyed an absurdly fancy sushi lunch, made a lot of work progress in the morning and writing progress in the afternoon/night, walked four miles, washed and folded four loads of laundry, and spent some quality time watching crackheads at Philz Coffee....so I would say that today was a smashing success.

Granted, I didn't get up early enough - and by that I mean I lazed about in bed for at least an hour when I really could have gotten up. But then I curled up on the couch with an iced coffee and my laptop and slogged successfully for a couple of hours. Then I had to run out of the house and walk down to the Embarcadero to meet Gyre for lunch. There was a point when I realized I was going to be ten minutes late, and I thought of getting in a lyft - but the traffic nightmare on Embarcadero and the surrounding areas in preparation for the Super Bowl has already started, and taking a lyft a mile would have taken as long as finishing my walk under my own power.

Luckily, Gyre was slightly late too, so I didn't keep him waiting - and we spent an hour and a half catching up over really ridiculously tasty (and ridiculously expensive) sushi and tea. I hadn't seen him since before Thanksgiving, so we had a lot to discuss. His stories made me exceedingly glad that I am no longer managing people, and my stories likely made him exceedingly glad that he's been with the same incredibly sane woman since they were both nineteen, so we probably both left feeling smug and self-satisfied.

After that, I intended to go to one of the Philz on Market Street, but the area was buzzing (with both Super Bowl setup and the usual financial district midday scene), so I started walking home...and then decided to hop on a bus to save myself some walking. So I rode to Van Ness, then went down to the Philz on Golden Gate, where I drank coffee and wrote for a couple of hours. The early chapters are starting to come together, although I'm still struggling with a bit of monkey mind when I open the book to work on it - but it's going leagues better than it was, so there is hope.

Then I came home, did four loads of laundry, took out recycling and compost (the compost had become its own ecosystem and was on the verge of sentience, and I felt bad for destroying it), and ate some supper. Then, I procrastinated on the web (and also did a few business-y things)....but eventually, I curled up in bed and wrote for another hour. This time, though, I was making notes for 'Spinster Honeymoon' - I had been mulling over it this evening, and I suddenly had an idea for structure, and some snippets of dialogue started coming to me, so I wrote it all down so I wouldn't forget it. Whether I write this book this year or not remains to be seen - but I think I want to.

And now, I'm going to sleep and hopefully force myself out of bed earlier tomorrow so I can accomplish all the things - goodnight!

1 comment:

Diwakar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.