Saturday, February 27, 2016

but now i know i'm better sleeping on my own

As you could probably tell from last night's post, I was really really not eager to go to this conference today. I woke up around eight, and I decided to do an hour's worth of work before going over...and that turned into 2.5hrs of work, followed by a call with Katie (who tried brain.fm at my recommendation and has now either done all the work possible in a mad fit of productivity, or has been brainwashed to kill the Malaysian prime minister). Then I showered. Then I ate some peanut butter and jelly because that's all I had in the fridge (other than eggs, and I'd already had an omelette). Then I sat on the couch for awhile and did nothing of note, just to procrastinate from having to go see people.

I finally walked downtown around 1:30, with a stop at a Philz truck to get some coffee to fortify me for socialization. As it turns out, the conference part was fairly useless - I heard the end of one talk and all of another, but I mostly played on my laptop and designed banners for possible ad campaigns (I'm getting in it to win it on the ads front). Then I went up to Bella's room with her and Barbara, where we were eventually joined by Grace and Tina, so it was like a Hawaii reunion sans Christie and Anne.

We ended up getting dinner with six other people, which was about eight too many for my hermity soul. But we went to Belden Taverna, which I'd never been to - it's on one of those weirdly charming tucked-away alleys in the Financial District, and my pork chop was actually super tasty. I picked the place because it could accommodate ten people (which became eleven) within four blocks of the hotel at six p.m., so I didn't have high hopes for the food, but I would totally go back there.

But when we were done eating, I was beyond done, so I came home. Grace gave me a ride, which was nice of her (I really do like my writing friends, I'm just over socializing at the moment). So I got home around nine, and I spent the last two hours playing around with more ads stuff.

But I am reminded that it would be far better to release a new book and promote that than to flog books that are several years old at this point (although flogging those books definitely helps)...so I need to sleep and either write tomorrow before the conference, or leave the conference after lunch and get some writing done in the afternoon. Decisions, decisions. Goodnight!

No comments: