Thursday, February 18, 2016

should've never said the word love, threw a toaster in the bathtub

I have checked into another hotel for three nights, after spending only four nights at home - but I feel like I'm a pro at this. And it's a good thing that I'm a pro - I woke up at 7:25 after seven hours of fitful slumber (the rain was so loud at times on the skylights above my bed that I finally put in earplugs), and I had to shower and pack and eat breakfast and caffeinate so that I could get out of SF as soon as possible. 7:25 was later than I had previously intended to get up (see: last night's impromptu drinks wrecking my good behavior), and I was cutting it close - so close that 'lunch' consisted of fritos from the gas station I stopped at along the way, and when I checked into my hotel, I didn't even take my bag to my room - I just called an uber to take me immediately to the wedding venue to meet up for the afternoon's fun activities.

Still, the drive was lovely and uneventful - I made it from SF to San Luis Obispo in four hours, including my stop for gas, so that seemed decent. And I pulled up to the wedding venue (a ranch with a gorgeous house) just as Ritu and Bill were arriving from an errand (they got in at 1am), and in time to help them finish making the guest gift bags before boarding the bus o' fun.

The bus o' fun was appropriately billed, as it turned out - we went to two wineries, with great tastings at both, and it gave those of us who came in early a chance to mingle and meet each other. It was mostly all family + me and Ritu and Bill, but I am really enjoying Steph and Jon's families so far....especially Steph's mom and dad, who are delightful and highly entertaining (and patient, in the case of Steph's dad, since he somehow ended up driving the wine bus).

But we got back to the ranch in time to grill dinner (with a stop at Smart and Final, which I just remembered - everything was a little hazy for a little bit after the second winery, but we acquired more buns than will be needed at any point this weekend, so I think that's a good thing?). Since I hadn't had lunch, I had two hamburgers and two hot dogs (sans buns), and I think it will help me to live another day. Then we played some ridiculous version of 'heads up' via a phone app - one person holds the phone up to their head, and everyone else tries to get them to guess the phrase showing on the phone. It was actually pretty fun, and easy for a group, so I give it a thumbs up.

But after a lot of random talk, including the possibility of starting a pyramid scheme and/or a church with Steph's mom, I really need to sleep - I'm not going to whale watching tomorrow because I want to get some writing done, which means I have to get up and actually follow through with that plan. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Luo said...

I've just found your blog and I love it! I thought blogs as journals weren't a thing anymore so it surprised me to see your blog is one of them (I have to say this kind of blogs is my fave). I'm looking forward to read more entries!

Greetings from Barcelona!

P.S. I was wondering why don't you have a followers widget in your blog, I think many people would like to follow your updates.


http://pudding-no-uta.blogspot.com.es/