Sunday, February 21, 2016

pour a little salt we were never here

I'm back from San Luis Obispo, and I am luxuriating in all sixteen hours that I get to spend in my apartment before I take off again. Tomorrow's destination is of uncertain length - there's a chance that I'll be home in time to sleep in my own bed, and there's a chance I'll be plied with so much wine that I have no choice but to pass out somewhere along Russian River.

But that's tomorrow's adventure - we must stick to the regularly scheduled programming and discuss today's adventure instead. I awoke at eight feeling only mildly like death - but I attribute that almost as much to lack of sleep over the past few days (weeks, months) as I do to the alcohol I had last night. Drinking isn't great for my sleep patterns, nor is sleeping in unfamiliar beds, nor is the fact that I'm guessing I've had too many meals with trace amounts of gluten, which means my skin is itching everywhere (although that could also be because my mind is overwhelmed by a bunch of hideous bug bites I got on one leg in Hawaii, which I've scratched so hard that my leg is now also covered in bruises surrounding the bug bites - Ritu said they look fine but that I should get steroids in a few days if they don't go away, but she was also drunk when she said that, so idk).

In other words, I need to detox immediately and get back to being a hermit and write a fucking book. And all of that is about to happen. But today wasn't the day for that - instead, I showered and rolled downstairs to the breakfast room, where I had breakfast with Ritu and Chris and Connie and Mark. Mark was more interested in licking the edge of the table than eating the subpar breakfast offering, and if I were also a two-year-old, I might have joined him. Eventually, Bill joined us, and it was clear which half of us had spent last night drinking until way too late and which half had gone to bed at a reasonable hour thanks to the tyranny of their toddler. Luckily, both halves probably thought they'd gotten the better end of the deal, so we parted ways as friends.

After breakfast, Chris/Connie/Mark left, and Bill went up to shower, and Ritu and I sat in the breakfast room and gorged on another helping of potatoes to try to fix what ailed us. Then I drove the three of us back to the bay area - the drive was pretty uneventful, although we were delayed by an accident, and I got another chip in my windshield (I am growing increasingly unimpressed by California freeways - this is my third chip in five months). But we stopped for a late lunch in Gilroy, at a totally awesome hole in the wall Mexican place that Bill found via Yelp. And we made it to Oakland in time for me to drop them off at the rental car pickup so they could rendezvous with their parents, who were all flying in today.

Then I came home, with a stop at the worst Starbucks of all time (I thought I might get mugged going in, and the drink took ten minutes and was kind of wrong, to the point that I might have happily given it to the mugger on the way out). I talked to my parents as soon as I got here, and then I spent most of the night in a completely desultory internet browsing black hole - there was all sorts of stuff I should have done, but I was too exhausted and too in need of a mental break to do any of it.

But now I'm going to sleep and try to get up in time to accomplish things before my next adventure - goodnight!

No comments: