Sunday, June 05, 2016

i don't need no dollar bills to have fun tonight

After taking a series of public and private conveyances, I have arrived in New York City (which is not the home of Pace Picante Sauce, as you should know). This morning started off in the misty fog of Provincetown, where I showered and got a cab to the pier. The cab situation in Provincetown seems like kind of a racket - Uber and Lyft seem to be almost nonexistent. I called the cab company yesterday to book today's cab, since I knew I wouldn't be able to hail one, and it showed up on time - but it had two other people in it, one of whom was going to the ferry and one of whom was going to a pizza place. So it was almost more like a shuttle than a cab - and it cost me $8 for a four minute, <1mi -="" ancestor="" at="" but="" cabs="" didn="" exist="" guess="" had="" have="" hey="" i="" if="" it="" least="" mayflower="" me="" much="" my="" p="" probably="" ride="" so="" stuff="" t="" there.="" walked="" way="" which="" with="" worse="" would="">
So I got to the ferry and stood in line for half an hour, but I was glad I got there early - the ferry was sold out, and there were a bunch of people on standby because the Provincetown airport (serviced only by tiny planes) was closed because of the fog and so the plane passengers were trying to get on the boat instead. But because I was in line early, I was able to get an inside seat facing directly through the forward window, so I didn't get seasick (and didn't have to sit up in the open air and get rained on, which was my alternative).

The ferry was uneventful, and I took an uber to the train station, which took <10mins .="" a="" and="" ate="" before="" beings="" boarding="" bring="" by="" couldn="" from="" grabbed="" grew="" his="" human="" i="" into="" irate="" lunch="" manager="" mcdonald="" my="" nyc.="" p="" restaurant="" s="" salad="" some="" somewhat="" starbucks="" subpar="" surrounded="" t="" tea="" the="" them="" there="" they="" to="" told="" train="" when="" while="" who="">
The train ride was even more uneventful and completely on time. I made good use of my four hours on board and got some solid work done on the manuscript (mostly inputting changes recommended by my editor, of which there were not a ton, and sending her an email with clarifying questions).

I lied, though - some of the time I spent on the train was researching the last few cruises to St. Helena before St. Helena finally gets an airport. You do not care about this, but St. Helena is where Napoleon was exiled (for the second time) and died, and it vies with Easter Island for most remote island in the world. The last sailings were supposed to be right now, but I read this morning that the airport is dealing with a bunch of wind shear issues that are preventing them from starting passenger air service (lol wtf), and so the ship that services St. Helena (from Cape Town, five days away) is going to keep going at least through fall. And this, of course, got me thinking about travel and going to another place at the end of the world....so I sent an email to the boat operator asking for more info. This will most likely not happen, but if it does, I might celebrate my 35th birthday with whichever other crazy strangers are on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic sailing to nowhere, which seems about as appropriate as any other choices I've made in life.

sssanyway. I got into Penn Station a little before six, and then abandoned the disastrous taxi line and took an uber to Terry's. I got mildly soaked in the five steps from the taxi to her door since the skies opened up when I was in the car, but it was all good. Terry is in fine form - she has a puppy (Scout) who is quite adorable despite his foot fetish (I know my feet are adorable, but really, they don't need to be licked alllll the time). And we went almost immediately to dinner at Ribbon, chosen mostly because the food is great and it was v. nearby in case the rain came back (it didn't). I had some tasty short ribs with polenta, and she had quinoa (nothing changes), and we both had wine (again, nothing changes). And we caught up on a wide variety of topics - we still have more to discuss, I'm sure, but it was a great start.

Then we came back to her place and she wanted to watch tonight's 'Game of Thrones'. I watched with her even though I've seen none of it, but she stopped halfway in because she was falling asleep, and so I didn't get any spoilers beyond what I usually see on Twitter. I really do need to watch the whole thing at some point - maybe that's a good project to take on my boat ride to St. Helena!

And now I need to sleep - I have a ton of writing to do this week, and also a ton of socializing, and I'm planning to do both tomorrow, which means tonight must end at once. Goodnight!

No comments: