Wednesday, June 22, 2016

with my eyes closed i see the door open wide

I am in some sort of post-book-finishing stupor, where it hasn't really sunk in yet that I'm actually done. I woke up this morning at six a.m. and knew I wasn't going to fall back asleep easily, so I messed around the apartment, got dressed, and was at Philz by eight a.m., where I worked on admin/promo stuff for three hours. I want to make this book launch a success, which means I can't just drop the mic and walk away now that the manuscript is done - I have to do all sorts of other auxiliary business-type stuff over the next few weeks. Happily, I kind of like that stuff, so it could be worse.

So I did three hours of work there, and then I came home, showered, and drove to San Mateo. I was all jittery and hyped up on caffeine, and I haven't slept enough recently, and I probably should have just stayed home and napped. But I went down to meet Anne and Barbara (and Deb, who they've replaced me with), and we had lunch and talked for quite awhile, and then I was going to do promo stuff there, but the wifi was way too slow for what I needed to work on. So I said my goodbyes to them earlier than usual, but I'm glad I went down - I won't see Anne for up to a month since I'm in Iowa for two weeks and then turn around almost immediately to go to a conference, so I'm glad I was able to make the time.

Then I came home, did some more work, took a v. brief nap, and then packed. It's unclear whether I packed the right stuff, but I can do laundry there and no one particularly cares what I look like, so whatever.

Then, I got social again - I walked down to Hayes Valley and had dinner with Lauren (aka Subz) at Jardiniere. It's possible that this was more fancy than is strictly necessary for a Tuesday night, but I loved it - we split some broccoli rabe with anchovies to start (that was way better than it may sound to some of you), and we had some cheese, and then I had the shortrib, which was delish. We ended with some sorbet, which was just the right palate cleanser. And we had a wonderful, long, meandering conversation - about books and writing, and about passions and callings, and about relationships and romance and houses and motherhood.

That was just what I needed before leaving the bay for a couple of weeks - oddly, I had dinner with her the night before I flew to Iowa last time, so maybe she's the vaccine I take to inoculate myself against the desire to move away and never come back that I always seem to have when I go to Iowa. But speaking of Iowa, I need to get up in six hours so I can shower and go to the airport and grab something to eat, and that seems way way too soon - so bed is imperative. Goodnight!

No comments: