Saturday, June 25, 2016

we were caught up and lost in all our vices

I haven't been getting nearly enough sleep, and I hope to rectify some of that tomorrow - and tonight, by going to bed 1-2hrs earlier than I have been. But today was worth getting out of bed for. I got up around 8:30 (too early), showered, and then spent an hour or so doing promo-type stuff before putting the laptop away so that the fun times could begin.

Today was loaded with a full day of Wampler family fun. Mark, Kathy, and Andrew (you may know him as Drewbaby) got here around 10:30, just as I was taking my coffee outside to sit on the patio. So, we hung out out there, and I heard all about Uncle Mark's recent trip to visit ancestral haunts in Highland County, VA, which sounds like my kind of place (remote, strange, with history + an urban edge thanks to tourists). At some point, Aunt Becky and Uncle Brian also showed up, and my dad retrieved my grandmother from town, and so we had a full quorum for lunch.

Lunch consisted of bratwurst and potato salad and baked beans and coleslaw, all of which were perfect. We then proceeded to hang out the rest of the afternoon; Becky and Brian eventually went back to Des Moines, and my dad took Gram back to town, and I had a few quiet moments on the back patio before Andrew, and then later most everybody else, came out and took over (which was still v. lovely, just not quite as quiet and perhaps more focused on politics than my internal monologue would have been).

We had supper (grilled chicken, etc.) and hung out some more before Mark/Kathy/Andrew left, so that was all good. And then I did a couple of hours of work/social media/procrastination, and now I need to call it a night.

But one other good non-family happened - I got my first review on Rafe and Octavia (from a reviewer whom I sent a copy to yesterday), and it was fabulous, so apparently at least one person thinks this book is worth reading. That is obviously a relief, since I spent so long hating this book (although I ended up happy with it, but that only happened in the last couple of weeks). You can read the review here - and now it's time for bed. Goodnight!

No comments: