Saturday, June 18, 2016

she grinds from monday to friday, works from friday to sunday

Another brutal slog, which you're probably getting sick of reading about. But I did have a lovely excursion today - I'm trying to make time for one non-writing thing every day despite the deadline, which seems to be good for me (who knew taking breaks was a good thing?! did anyone else know this?!). This break was a little longer than usual - I drove over to Berkeley and met John and Jess (and Ian, who seemed to have no choice in the matter) for lunch at Saul's. This was Ian's first outing to Saul's, and while he slept through the entire thing, I was happy that Auntie Wamp was part of his experience.

Of course, I had to have the corned beef hash, which is worth the drive. I also guzzled coffee in front of them, not knowing that John had somehow given up caffeine and sugar and alcohol for June, which sounds like a cry for help / slow form of suicide. But despite that, they seemed to be doing quite well - Jess is getting ready to go back to work (Ian is already ten weeks old!), and we talked about life and books and the Olympics, and it was all delightful.

After that, we ran a couple of quick errands on that block, and then I left them so I could come back before rush hour and get some work done. I'd written this morning before going to see them, even though I was still tired when I woke up, but this afternoon, my eyes kind of weren't having it. So I wrote for a little bit, and I also procrastinated for a little bit, and I also napped for a little bit. Then, I ran some errands of my own - it's clear what my priorities are, since I went to BevMo for wine, and then to the dry cleaner's to pick up the pants I had altered (which are the same style that the Duchess of Cambridge wore on her hike in Bhutan, which I had to have), and then to Philz to get some brewed coffee for immediate consumption + some ground coffee for Iowa next week.

The necessities of life thus taken care of, I came home and spent the evening working pretty diligently (with a break to eat leftover tomato soup + fresh grilled cheese). And now I should probably keep working, but I'm going to sleep; I don't think I have any words left in me at the moment, and I need to dream about how to spiffy up the ending (some of which isn't actually written yet, since I was waiting until I knew exactly how all the threads were going to come together so I wouldn't waste time writing an ending I would have to scrap). Writing is a stupid profession, so I recommend you not do it - but it's also the best profession, so #noregrets. Goodnight!

No comments: