Sunday, January 01, 2017

make new friends but keep the old

Happy New Year! Let's do a bit of year in review, shall we?

- books written: 1.5 (although Rafe and Octavia's book really took approximately 50k more words than I ended up using, which was a bummer)

- weddings attended: 2. Steffers put on an amazing bash in SLO. I mostly remember bourbon and karaoke from Riturani's wedding weekend, but I think she also got married?? Unclear.

- writing retreats: 2 solo, 3 group. The Sonoma Fairmont is perhaps entirely too #fancy for a solo writing retreat, but it got the job done. Provincetown was fun, mostly because I met lesbians who tried to get me to switch teams, gays who didn't care what team I was on as long as I kept drinking, and an erotica writer who wouldn't tell me what she writes because she thought I would be too shocked (how quaint). And my Tahoe writing retreats were as fun as they always are - if going into the trenches and hoping for victory but suspecting that you're just going to end up with lice is considered fun? But it's good to have partners in misery, I suppose.

- [censored] [censored] bought: [x]. [censored] wants to buy [censored] so he can make [censored], but I am worried about [censored] and keep joking about high fives. [censored]!

- bottles of cachaça available at my Olympics party: 2.

- bottles of cachaça consumed at my Olympics party: 0.2. Cachaça is an abomination. #sorrynotsorry for the dose of truth, Brazil.

- flights taken: 36 legs. 12 trips. 5 writing trips: Honolulu, Milwaukee (with a special surprise gift of food poisoning from sushi in Chicago), Provincetown (with a stopoff to see Ritu and Terry), San Diego, and Salem. 5 trips to Iowa. 1 trip to be terrorized by the toddler army at the top of Pikes Peak. 1 bachelorette party in New Orleans. 2 trips interrupted when I was stranded overnight.

- Olympics coverage watched: not fucking enough because of Ritu's stupid wedding. Or rather, love always wins.

- amount spent at Starbucks: at least a couple of hundred dollars. Whatever it was, triple it and you might get close to the amount I spent on coffee this year, since Philz is a lethal addiction (and since I bought some v. v. fancy Kona coffee in Hawaii that I still dream about).

- friends made/lost: I'm going to call this a wash, although I felt v. happy with the quality of (most of) my interactions. And I'll put Sheila and Rajiv in this bucket to tip the scales in the favor of friends made.

I'm sure there's so much more I could cover, but I'm falling asleep (way to kick off 2017 right), and I don't want to prolong my bedtime. But today was delightful, all things considered - I got up late, hung out, answered a few emails (but not enough), ate supper (bratwurst, my favorite), opened a bottle of sparkling rosé, and played two games of Ticket to Ride. That may be the most wholesome New Year's ever, but I'll take it.

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday and are on track for an amazing year! Goodnight!

No comments: