Thursday, January 26, 2017

coming in fast, over me

Today wasn't the best day I've had in Bali so far, but since all days in Bali have been great so far, that's not a tragedy. I woke up relatively early and spent quite a bit of time navigating my former health insurance company's phone tree so that I could cancel my plan - that was successfully accomplished, I think, although it's somewhat unclear to me whether the guy actually got it done. But I have a confirmation number, so I live in hope.

I also talked to [censored] this morning - we hadn't talked since I left the states, and we were lucky that the wifi was working for the entire call so that I didn't have to pay for it (I guess that means, technically, that I was lucky; that had no bearing on [censored] either way). Then I showered and forced myself to leave the property and go elsewhere. I ended up at Lazy Cats, which is a ten or fifteen minute walk from here - they had these v. delicious hashbrowns (but they're hipsters, so they called them #browns), and I added poached eggs, and their coffee was great. I also got some solid work done there, and I probably should have stayed there or gone to another coffee shop. But I was getting worried about the possibility of a rainstorm, so I came back to the hotel....

...and when I got here, I had to lie down, because it was so fucking hot and humid while walking back up the hill from Ubud that I sweated through everything and wanted to die. Then I worked from here the rest of the afternoon, but I wasn't as productive as I would have liked to have been -- too much time reading the news and scratching my bugbites (which I swear are reproducing with each other). Also, it didn't rain until after seven, when I was finally ready to go to dinner.

But dinner was still lovely - Clayton and I ran into each other while we were both debating what to do, and we ended up at Element again (he had actually just spent two hours there, and had come back to get his laptop so he could do some work there). Element is, as you may recall, home to the two-for-one cocktails, so we of course had two each. I also had their chicken burger, which I like a lot. And then we came back here, and I messed around online (mostly looking at flights to places).

I'm rather desperate to sleep, though - and I have to get a lot done tomorrow, so I need to get up and go someplace before the heat gets too oppressive to walk. I realized that at some point this week the switch in my brain flipped from considering this to be a 'new place' and now classifies it as 'home', which means I have to get out of the coworking space and work elsewhere occasionally to fill my need to write in fresh places. Wish me luck with that - goodnight!

No comments: