Wednesday, January 25, 2017

you look as good as the day i met you

I have a massive headache, so I think I need to stop staring at the screen and go to bed - but I think the headache came from too much sugar and not enough moving around, so presumably I'll be better tomorrow. I had intended to walk into town today for some fresh air and a chance of scene, but I got up too late (see: last night's unintended cocktails), and I could tell that we were headed for another storm this afternoon, so I didn't want to venture out and get soaked. I really don't mind, generally, that I'm here during the rainy season, but it would certainly change the pattern and flavor of my days if I wasn't subjected to a tropical downpour at some point almost every afternoon.

But being stuck in this part of tropical paradise and not being able to go to a different coffee shop in the same tropical paradise is really not a big deal. And I got some real writing done today - not nearly enough words, but a significant chunk of time put into it (and a breakthrough on one of the turning points of the story, which isn't at all what I thought it was, which means rewriting...but that's how it always goes). I also had some brief, lovely afternoon conversations - a whatsapp convo with someone on the homefront, and a couple of conversations with Nadia while getting snacks/water/tea in the kitchen (she's fascinating and entertaining and possibly even more of a secret misanthrope than I am, which I find delightful).

There was a community dinner tonight, but I wasn't feeling it - I wanted to keep working, and also didn't want to eat what was on the menu, so I snuck away by myself to Pacha Mama and had some delish vegetarian Mexican (you know I love the place, since I've been there four times in the past twelve days). I worked on zee book for another hour while I was there, and I was just wrapping up my work and my meal when Clayton and Sarah showed up. So I hung out with them while they ate, and we ended up having some flambed banana dish that was total perfection. The chef is actually from Mexico, and he's expanding the upstairs into a cevicheria, but it won't be open before I leave...so I'll just have to plan to come back next year.

When we got home, I spent the last hour and a half answering emails and taking care of administrative tasks while the internet was working. And now I'm going to sleep and try to get up early so that I can spend some time outside in the morning before the usual rainstorm - goodnight!

No comments: