Thursday, January 19, 2017

can you feel the love tonight

Today, I finally made it into central Ubud. My initial intent was to find a pharmacy - I decided that it was silly to keep suffering without making any attempt to clear things up, so I went in search of cold medicine. Of course, this wasn't without its perils - it's hard to know exactly what you're getting (like the time I got some really amazing stuff in India that worked fantastically well, although I later discovered it had been banned in the US). The pharmacy sold me on some homeopathic stuff that I'm not sure is right, but I also got some vitamin C (which I wanted), and at the last minute I found something with pseudoephedrine, so I grabbed a bit of that as well.

The walk there was better than I'd anticipated - there was one slightly hairy moment attempting to cross an intersection that barely functions with cars/motorbikes, let alone the addition of pedestrians, but it was crossed in due time and I made it through unscathed. After the pharmacy, I had breakfast/brunch at Casa Luna - it's quite a bit bigger inside than I thought it was, with two levels and the capacity to have live music sometimes, but it was v. lowkey in the morning. I had potatoes for the first time since getting here, which was what I needed - the bacon was also great, although the omelette was a little too greasy (but potatoes make up for a lot of sins).

After that, I continued down the main road and went to Starbucks, mostly so I could see what it was like. I bought an Ubud mug, which is super cute and unusual compared to the standard Starbucks designs; I also got an iced latte, which was as unmemorable as most Starbucks coffees are. But the view from the back patio is the best Starbucks view ever - it looks out over a lotus pond and a Hindu temple, and I could have stayed there for hours. So I sat and scribbled in my journal and had #noregrets.

But despite my lack of regrets, the coffee really wasn't as good as it could have been. Indonesia is a top producer of coffee, so it felt wrong to go back to my hotel without trying something better. So I went to Seniman, which is one of the most hipster-ish coffee shops in Ubud - they make coffee via pourover, siphon, aeropress, and a variety of other methods, and everything is too perfect. I had cold brew, and it was the best coffee I've had here (so good that I bought a bottle of concentrate to bring back to my hotel). I also had some fresh spring rolls as a snack, and they were top notch. I was v. tempted to buy an Aeropress from them since I didn't bring mine and am already regretting it...but I decided to wait and see whether I really think I'll make my own coffee while I'm traveling. And I wrote some more in my journal, and was feeling v. grounded as a result.

Then I took a cab back in deference to my exhaustion, although I didn't take a nap - I worked for a couple of hours. Then I took a break to hang out with some fellow guests, order takeout from a taco place, and watch a few episodes of 'Broad City' (a show I haven't seen - but then, I haven't seen most shows). And then I was going to work, but I'm so exhausted from zee cold that I fell asleep inadvertently - which means I should probably just go to bed. Goodnight!

No comments: