Saturday, January 28, 2017

baby i like your style

I spent most of the day either working or walking around, and all of it sweating. I'm in a groove on the book, which is a great thing, and also trying to keep myself off social media (with limited success, since some of the news is so grim - I'm annoyed by plenty of things, but banning refugees on Holocaust Remembrance Day is horrifyingly short-sighted. Especially since that ban includes people already holding visas/green cards - green card holders are permanent legal residents, they've already gone through months/years of vetting, and I can't imagine that many of them are now trapped overseas if they were traveling for business/vacation and happened to be outside the US when the order came down. I could write a diatribe about how this goes against the very foundations of our democracy, illegally discriminating based on religion (while also, pragmatically, ignoring the fact that the US already has the most stringent immigration vetting, and that this is all 'security theatre' to make the base feel more secure without actually accomplishing anything positive).... but you're all here for a recap of what I ate, so I'll keep it suitably banal).

sssanyway. I got up, showered, and went to Lazy Cats, where I worked for several hours while enjoying a tasty omelette, a couple of coffees, and a coke. Then I went to the ATM, grabbed a snack (the first meal I've been truly disappointed in here - but it's on Monkey Forest Road, which I hadn't walked down yet but is just as touristy as I've been told), and walked back to the hotel. When I got here, I'd sweated through everything, so I cooled down and took a shower before doing a bit more work on the roof.

But I took a break at seven to have dinner with Clayton - we walked to Copper, which is a v. posh restaurant inside a v. posh hotel. The food was excellent - they brought out a menu that looked like a prix fixe list, but it became clear after I ordered one thing from each of the four courses that the server thought I'd ordered way too much. So Clayton and I shared everything (and added another starter), and it was outstanding. The starters were tuna sashimi and this corn fritter dish that was incredible; that was followed by a fish dish that was possibly the best thing I've eaten here, and I could have happily kept eating that until I was stuffed. That was followed by a beef dish and a vegetable curry that were both good, but couldn't compare to the fish. But all in all, with those dishes (plus an amuse bouche) and one cocktail each, the bill came out to $35 each, which is reason #4276 that I love it here.

Then we walked back, and I was sweaty again, so I took another shower and worked for another hour or so. And then I fell asleep while I was working, but I managed to wake myself up so that I could write this (and read the latest news on people trapped in airports, and get angry again). And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: