Wednesday, January 18, 2017

the sound of settling

I'm definitely sick, but other than that I had a pretty great day. I woke up early and dealt with some financial stuff back home (canceling/changing things that I should have done a month ago), with varying degrees of success (not very much success - I should probably spend some more time on administrative stuff tomorrow). Then I showered and had breakfast at Alchemy, since I was hoping that fruit and granola might help me on the path to recovery (unlikely).

While I was at Alchemy, I had some coffee and wrote for an hour, so that felt great. Then I came back to Roam and spent a couple of hours doing nothing in bed - while my cold isn't dire, I'm definitely exhausted. But I rallied, ate some lunch, and then worked most of the afternoon, with a break to talk to another writer who is here, and a bit more break to do laundry (the laundry was way more efficient than I expected - another way that this is India Light, since doing laundry in India was usually an ordeal if you did it yourself, and a risk if you sent it out to the washers who beat your clothes on rocks and sometimes scorched things with irons).

Then I took another nap, because #yolo. I was tempted to stay in and do nothing, but I forced myself to socialize - tonight there was a community dinner on the roof deck, and they brought in some women to cook in the style of Jogjakarta (central Java). It was really yummy, although a lot of it was totally new to me. Tempeh isn't new to me, but I never eat it; they had tempeh fritters, which were pretty tasty (although I still prefer chicken). There was also a jackfruit dish, which was totally new to me - and definitely the highlight of the night. And there was chicken, and rice, and a spicy tofu dish, and a banana fritter at the end.

So the food was great, but I'm also glad I hung out for awhile - I got to know a few people a little better, which was great (although they're all leaving in the next week or two, so I'll have to keep repeating this process). They were all v. cool, though, so it was worth it. But now I really need to sleep and nurse my cold - goodnight!

No comments: