Tuesday, January 24, 2017

i don't know how to talk to you

Internet continues to be incredibly sporadic, but today was a fabulous day (no internet required). I got up, read, showered, and went to Yellow Flower Cafe, which is a few minutes up a footpath from here and looks out over the most gorgeous scenery - and my omelette was also the best omelette I've had here, so it fueled a couple of hours of great writing while sitting at the cafe and taking it all in.

Then I came back here and took a break that wasn't quite as cool as expected since the power went out - the infrastructure has been surprisingly stable since I've been here, but the rain is taking its toll, and so the power and internet were both messed up. But I wrote some more and had a smoothie, and then I took a break from my oh-so-difficult life to get a massage.

The massage was at Tamarind, which is walking distance from here (albeit up a super steep hill with steps cut into the middle of the road, so I showed up sweaty). I had an hour massage followed by an hour of foot reflexology, and the foot massage was super intense - but it was all so good that I booked another massage with them for a couple of weeks out.

On the way home, I was halfway here when the heavens opened up and it started pouring, so I ducked into the nearest place - a bar that turned out to be the most gorgeous emergency bar I've ever been in. The bar/restaurant are on several levels of a cliff overlooking a ravine with a rushing river, with lots of trees and other growth stretching up on the terraced cliffs around the restaurant. So I sat overlooking the water and had a glass of wine and read a book for an hour on my phone, and it was as perfect as it could be.

Then I came back to the hotel and showered and intended to work all night...but it was Xavier's birthday, and while I didn't know Xavier at all ten days ago, it felt important to go out and celebrate. So nine of us ended up at Element, where I'd gone last night when I was craving a beef burger - and we made far too much use of their two-for-one cocktails. So much use that we all ordered two cocktails to start, which meant we were all double fisting from the beginning. The cocktails ended up being $3 each, and I unintentionally had four...so this will be the cheapest hangover I've had in awhile.

sssanyway. Dinner was delish (although I had a chicken burger this time), and I enjoyed the evening. Then I came back here and accidentally fell asleep before blogging, which I've now rectified. And now I need to go back to bed - goodnight!

No comments: