Sunday, January 15, 2017

io scrivo un libro

I had a lovely day in Bali - and hopefully that continues to be the case. I woke up early (for me), threw on some clothes, and went next door to Alchemy, which is a raw vegan place that I would normally avoid like the plague in San Francisco. However, here it seemed imminently reasonable to buy a juice for breakfast. Yes, I'm quickly going to become insufferable.

Then I spent most of the morning/early afternoon working on Lucy's book - I'm trying to get back into the story, so I spent a lot of time rereading and making plot notes. I also made eggs at some point, and I also ate lunch in the rooftop cafe, where I chatted with the girl from the UK for a bit - hopefully we'll hang out more this week, but I was feeling hermity and also desperately in need of some time to get into the book, so I evaded social plans for today so that I could be virtuous instead.

Of course, virtue turned into an hour-long nap, which I'm going to blame on jetlag even though I slept great last night. Then I spent some time cleaning up my room - I had never fully unpacked and there was stuff strewn everywhere, so I took a couple of hours to organize it all and make my room livable for the next six weeks.

Eventually, I went out in search of dinner - and I ended up down the street at La Pacha Mama, which is a vegetarian Mexican restaurant with funky, hipstery decor that somehow works well with the traditional open patio and arches/plants/household offerings. I avoided alcohol because I'm still dealing with jetlag and also didn't feel totally at ease walking back to the hotel in the dark (not because of the people/stranger-related safety, but because of holes in ditches and the fact that there are no sidewalks and the road is too narrow for two cars to meet in some places (although they make a valiant, suicidal effort) - but the mocktail I had, with lemon and mint and sugar, convinced me that they know their stuff. And my entree was excellent - a taco with refried beans, mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese, with great guacamole and a couple of salsas that were each perfect. So, it was worth venturing out in the dark for, and you can guess where I'll go 1-2x/wk while I'm here...

Then I came home, and I wrote a bunch of emails and called my parents (even though it's past midnight on Sunday here, it's Sunday morning for them, so we have to adjust our usual routines). And now I'm going to pop some melatonin and hope for the best - goodnight!

No comments: