Saturday, November 04, 2017

all the leaves are brown

I'm back in the US after a v. v. long couple of days. When last I blogged, it was late Thursday night my time...and now it's Sunday afternoon in India, but it's 1am on Saturday in San Francisco. In those intervening hours, there were no beds - only planes, ubers, lyfts, airports, and a brief visit to the Singapore office.

My flight from Hyderabad to Singapore was glorious, if only because it was less than half full and the flight attendants invited me to move to the back and claim a whole row to myself - which was long enough for me to be able to lie down, so I got a little more sleep than I might have. But it definitely wasn't enough - I arrived in Singapore feeling slightly like death, and I went straight to the office to try to recuperate. Luckily I work at a place where offices can help with recuperation - the Singapore office is one of the nicest I've been to anywhere, and the breakfast was to die for (all gluten, so literal dying, but soooo yummy). In a real shock, I ran into an old friend at breakfast (Tania, who worked with me and dear respected madam like ten years ago), so we caught up for fifteen minutes or so, which was great.

Then I answered a bunch of emails, drank as much caffeine as my heart could handle, and took a shower before meeting and having lunch with a team I'm going to be working with in Singapore. Then I answered a few more emails, had coffee with someone from that team, and went back to the airport, where I went back through customs, explored duty free, and had dinner and a bunch of wine at Wolfgang Puck before boarding.

The next eighteen hours passed in a blur - I slept pretty solidly from Singapore to Hong Kong, then went through security to get back on the place and continue the journey. From Hong Kong to SF I slept some more, had a nice chat with the woman sitting next to me (about to graduate from business school at Berkeley and looking at jobs in Singapore - I gave her unsolicited career advice, mostly in the form of 'whatever you do, don't take the job you're considering', but I doubt she'll heed it), read a book (PEAK, about the value of practice in improving performance, which seems obvious now that I write it like that), journaled, slept some more, etc., etc., etc.

Arrival in the US was seamless, thanks to Global Entry, and my CBP guy was friendly, so that was pleasant. Then I took a lyft into the city, checked into my hotel, wanted to crash immediately, and instead forced myself to sort through my clothes, unpack a bit, and figure out what/whether I need to wash anything to get myself through next week.

I also took a melatonin, and I'm hoping it kicks in so I can sleep eight hours - yes, I'm living the dream. Goodnight!

No comments: