Monday, November 27, 2017

half of my heart is in Havana

I need to go to bed immediately so that I can get eight hours of sleep before I have to wake up and go to work. I'm sitting in a hotel room in California, as I so often am - this morning was a bit of a scramble to get ready, but I made it to the airport in time to have lunch (and a margarita) at Cantina Grill. [censored] will either be pleased or displeased to know that they've revamped their menu - I had a burrito bowl, which I thought was waaaaay better than the burrito bowls of the past, but it also had green beans next to the rice/refried beans/chicken, so your mileage may vary. For me, at least, it was v. tasty and v. welcome. And the margarita was welcome too, since it took enough of the edge off my nerves to survive the couple of minutes of rather intense turbulence during the ascent out of Denver and over the edge of the Rockies.

But once the turbulence subsided, I had a v. easy flight - I worked the whole way, answering emails that I'd been neglecting, which puts me in great shape to neglect emails again this week during my time in California. When I landed, I grabbed a coffee and headed to the rental car center, where I checked in, got my car...and discovered that while I had paid for a nice boring intermediate car (like a Hyundai), I instead got a Chevy Tahoe. They were completely out of midsized sedans, so it was either take a gigantic SUV or drive a minivan. I have some pride remaining, so I opted for a Tahoe. I undoubtedly looked totally ridiculous in it, and as I was leaving, the guy at the gate (who makes sure you're not stealing the cars) took an abnormally long time to check everything out on my license/receipt, and then asked me if I was okay. I have no idea what that question meant, but I can only assume that he doesn't think that people who look like they're twelve should be driving an SUV.

sssanyway. I drove around in a loop and returned to the airport, where I picked up Caroline, who flew in from Denver on the flight after mine. She's my peer, and our manager was having all of us over for dinner tonight before the summit, so I drove us straight there. Dinner was fun (although glutenous, since no one asked before ordering lasagna for the catering...but I had a v. nice meal of salad and a bunch of the salami/prosciutto/cheese/olives from the appetizer tray, so it was cool) - I chatted with a bunch of people, and we had a musical interlude when my boss's four-year-old gave a dance performance (he rocked out to 'Under the Sea', 'Single Ladies' as sung by the Chipmunks, and 'Let It Go', which was quite the medley - but he was actually super talented).

But now I'm totally unpacked, ensconced in my bed, and eager to use it for sleep instead of for internet activities - goodnight!

No comments: