Saturday, November 18, 2017

all my friends are heathens take it slow

It's very dangerous that I think that my vacation has already started, since I'm working Monday and Tuesday this week and need to get a million things done. But today was an exercise in getting personal things done + relaxing. I spent most of the morning doing things around the house, with some success, and I also talked to my parents....

...and then I was almost murdered. Technically it probably would have been vehicular manslaughter, and I was 45+ seconds removed from the moment where I could have died, which is a lifetime (literally) when it comes to freak accidents. But I took a bunch of recycling through the parking lot to the bins, and on the way back, I watched a guy back directly into the car behind him (across the parking lot that our units all park/walk in), pushing that car into the garage behind it. He was super confused, and I have run into him before - my guess is that he has major dementia and probably doesn't live here anymore, but shows up occasionally thinking he belongs there. He tried to leave after hitting the car, using the rationale that his own car still started and so he was good to go, but the people who happened to be around stopped him, and the paramedics and police came shortly thereafter and further investigated the situation. I'm glad he and the other people in the parking lot at the time were okay, but given how confused he was (when he tried to leave the first time, he was still in reverse and damaged the car/garage he'd hit even worse), someone could have been seriously hurt.

sssanyway. That's not how my life in Boulder usually is, and that's not how the rest of my morning went. I'm still not totally unpacked, but I made some more progress today before showering. Then I drove to the airport to pick up Drewbaby (my only cousin on my dad's side) - he's in town for the week for Thanksgiving, but we had some solo time today. We put it to v. good use - we hung out at my place for awhile, then walked the length of Pearl St to scope out our options. We ended up at Next Door, which I've been to before and wholeheartedly recommend. After dinner and a couple of drinks there, we walked down the street to Eureka!, where I had three more glasses of wine while talking to Andrew (pour one out for 'Drew', which is what my family used to call him) and watching the Stanford/Cal game (#fearthetree). We had a great, meandering conversation, and I'm looking forward to more tomorrow...but for now, I really need to sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: