Sunday, September 13, 2026

crop top and a bandolier, swinging from a chandelier

I had a fairly decent weekend, all in all. Yesterday I woke up in Des Moines, grabbed breakfast from the cafe downstairs, and drank coffee in the lobby while working on various tings until it was time to check out. Then I drove to the Michaels store in West Des Moines to find some decorative paper - I'm on a bit of a kick of making my own planner inserts since I can't find one that is perfect for all my needs, and I wanted some paper for the covers. After completing that errand successfully, I drove south, stopped at the Starbucks in Indianola and did some journaling, grabbed some steaks at Fareway, and drove home.

When I got here, I unloaded my car, relaxed a bit, took a quick nap, and then helped Mom water the planters in town (for what is likely the last time this year). Then I made dinner for Mom and [censored] to celebrate my birthday - I was going to make them take me out, but my place of employment sent me a gluten free pie for my birthday (that arrived mostly thawed because UPS doesn't deliver here on Thursdays) and so I decided to cook so we could eat pie after. Cooking was about as easy as it gets, since I just grilled ribeyes and boiled some of the last of this year's sweet corn - and the pie (a mixed berry with a nice crumble-type top) was v. tasty with vanilla ice cream.

After Mom left, [censored] and I watched the rest of the Cy-Hawk game. Iowa State lost almost all their players last year after our head coach left, so we knew almost no one on the field - but it appears we have a surprisingly good quarterback, so we'll see how the season goes. Unfortunately the Cyclones lost right at the end, but it was closer than might have been expected given how the roster turned over, so I'll take it.

Today I meant to be in it to win it, but I spent too much time lying in bed scrolling on my phone. Then I made coffee, talked to [censored], did various tings around my room, did some hurried harvesting of my garden, and then generally had trouble getting into anything the rest of the afternoon because it started raining and really didn't let up. However, I did write for awhile (while sitting at my desk instead of on my chaise, shocker). And then I ran to town to get groceries, came home, and grilled burgers and hot dogs + made some caprese salad for dinner. The burgers turned out perfectly, if I do say so myself, and [censored] and I ate them (+ more pie) while watching 'Stuart Fails to Save the Universe' and some clips from various Conan podcasts.

And now I need to unwind so that I can go to bed at a reasonable hour - goodnight!

No comments: