Sunday, October 25, 2015

and i am a material girl

I haven't stayed up until four a.m. in a v. v. long time....and the savviest of readers (aka my dad) could probably guess that Adit was involved. I also achieved peak karaoke by going to Yamasho twice in one night...but I get ahead of myself. The day started off v. quietly, with some attempt at writing in bed (not particularly successfully). I was interrupted by a call from my landlord (aka Chandlord), who demanded that I have a milkshake with her, and I was so afraid of being evicted that I acquiesced. So I met Chandlord at Mel's, where I had chilequiles instead of a milkshake, and we caught up on many and varied things while eating our diner food.

Then I came home and spent the afternoon cleaning, tidying, procrastinating, bathing, etc. I was sinking into a local minima, for no particularly good reason, but sometimes local minima don't have a good reason for existing. However, I promptly pulled myself out of it - Ritu and Bill showed up, since Ritu is staying with me tonight while Bill flies to Brazil, and we drank some wine while they repacked their suitcases, etc.

Then we met up with Adit and Priyanka for dinner at Rove, which is a surprisingly delicious, extremely tiny newish restaurant a few blocks from me. It took awhile to get seated, but the food was awesome despite the simple/limited menu, and we had a couple of bottles of pinot noir to keep us going. When we were done, Bill went to the airport, Priyanka went home, Adit went to a birthday party, and Ritu and I went to Yamasho (round one) to hang out with Ritu, John, Ravij, etc. [editor's note: when I typed this, I should have said 'Vidya, John, Rajiv, etc.' Apologies!]

We were only there for twenty minutes or so, which was fine with me. Then we adjourned to a nearby pizza place, where I was drunk enough and hungry enough (the restaurant's burger was awesome, but without a bun or french fries or any other included sides, it wasn't enough to make up for the fact that I'd barely had protein all day) to actually eat a slice of pizza. Stupid Sara...but it was ridiculously tasty.

Ritu and I adjourned from the group and met up with Adit at Noir Lounge in Hayes Valley. He was at a birthday party, which didn't seem to mind crashers; in fact, they all cleared out shortly after we arrived, and Adit/Ritu/Adit's friend Layla/I spent much of our evening drinking rosé champagne and gossiping incessantly. After last call, we left Noir and went to Grubstake [editor's note: when I typed this, I was so tired that I somehow skipped that we went to Yamasho in between Noir and Grubstake, where we squeezed in forty-five minutes of v. efficient karaoke while v. efficiently drinking most of two bottles of sake], where I managed to befriend every person in line (okay, maybe the guy who told me his name was 'Pedro Pablo' was lying) before we ate potato skins and scrambled eggs to recover our lost youth.

But now I must sleep if I have any hope of functioning tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: