Friday, October 02, 2015

wanna argue all day, make love all night

I wasn't really in a great place from a productivity standpoint today...I was definitely procrastinating, probably because I was definitely stressing/overthinking this stupid book, as I have been doing for months, which is getting really old and frustrating, but that frustration is digging deep ruts into my subconscious that I'm finding it difficult to escape from.

sssanyway. None of that is interesting, nor is it fruitful to say it out loud right now. I sat in bed and attempted to write this morning, but where it worked perfectly yesterday, it didn't work at all today. Then I took a nap (bizarre timing for a nap), took a shower, and eventually decided to try changing my scene, so I walked to Fillmore with the intention of working at Peets - but it was jampacked with people who were 'working from home' on Friday, so there was no place for me. I drowned my sorrows in ice cream from Smitten instead, which is v. unlike me (I almost never crave ice cream, and I had froyo yesterday, which usually gets me through at least a month before I want it again).

Then I came home, with a stop at Walgreens to pick up some photos I'd ordered - I finally picked the photos to put on my photo wall, and while I may want to swap some of them out later, it looks good for now. So I spent some quality time this afternoon framing the photos, which was at least something worth doing. Then I did a bit of work, took another nap (two naps in one day is probably the definition of a local minima), and forced myself to leave the house for my one social excursion of the day.

The excursion was dinner and drinks with a romance writer friend (Amber, who is also an Episcopal priest, which I find fascinating) and a couple of her friends. This all came about somewhat last minute (and by that I mean yesterday); I was supposed to have happy hour with Dave/Tomas/Eugene tonight (the triumvirate of...I'm having trouble coming up with an appropriate adjective), but over the course of yesterday afternoon it was decided that Tomas wanted to ditch, and then Dave decided to stay in the city, so I quite happily canceled happy hour and had dinner with Amber instead. We met at Udupi Palace, which is an Indian vegetarian place in the Mission; in some ways I could have done without having Indian for the second day in a row, since yesterday's lunch satisfied all my cravings, but c'est la vie. Then we went to ABV, where I had a cocktail with them (The Jackel, my favorite!) before parting ways.

It was great to see Amber; I haven't seen her in at least a year, probably, but I really like her and always enjoy talking to her about writing/life. Hopefully I'll see her again sooner than that; she lives in San Mateo, which isn't my favorite place in the whole world, but it's easy enough to get to for a visit. So at least my evening ended on a somewhat higher note, even if the panic about the book is still simmering beneath the surface...

...but that's a problem for tomorrow - right now, I desperately need to sleep so I can write and take care of household tasks tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: