Friday, October 23, 2015

be more straightforward

Today was pretty wonderful, all in all. I should have gotten up and around faster than I did this morning, but I was feeling lazy (in terms of getting out of bed) and in need of some productive time (in terms of writing/grooming/household stuff), so I stayed at home longer than I should have to take care of tings. But eventually I put away the laptop and rendezvoused with Terry for our day of fun. We went up to Sonoma for the afternoon/evening, and it was gorgeous up there - the weather was perfect, and since it was a Friday (which I kept forgetting), it wasn't too busy.

Our first stop was Gloria Ferrer, which is my favorite place ever - their blanc de noirs is my go-to sparkling wine, and their patio overlooking the vineyards and hills of Sonoma is gorgeous (even my mother would agree, and she isn't a big fan of California). In a first, I actually signed up for a wine club, which meant we got our tastings and snacky snacks for free; if I were to ever sign up for a wine club, this seemed to be the one to go for, since I like going to the winery itself and I am always happy to buy their wines. Also, I may have bought six half-bottles of blanc de noirs, which I didn't even know they made - but half-bottles can justifiably be opened when I need champagne to fuel (or celebrate) the writing (which isn't often, but when it's necessary, it's v. necessary).

After we spent a couple of hours at Gloria Ferrer, we drove north all the way to Grgich Hills, since Terry was already a member there. They make pretty fancy wines, which I usually don't drink, but the tasting there was also fantastic (and also leisurely, and also outside). Then, we drove through the v. windy backroads between Sonoma and Napa while listening to the first part of the soundtrack from the 'Hamilton' musical, which was awesome...

...but even more awesome was meeting up with Ritu and Bill, who are in town looking at wedding venues. We had dinner at The Girl and the Fig, which is where I had lunch with Kathia a few months ago; it turns out that dinner is also delightful. We split a bottle of a wine that I picked solely because I realized it was French for 'fountain of the wolf', and then we split most of a bottle of something called 'Juicy Rebound', which just sounds wrong. But despite those names (or perhaps because of them), the place was perfect. And Ritu and Bill were just as wonderful and ridiculous as always, and it was fun to hang out with them and Terry on the west coast (best coast) and catch up for a few hours.

Sadly, though, all things must end, and so they went to their hotel and Terry and I drove back to SF while listening to more 'Hamilton'. The fog has taken over the city in earnest, and the drive over the Golden Gate was a little surreal, but I'm glad to be home - it's a little weird to process that I was just in Tahoe, and that I've got friends in town this weekend, but I'm gearing up for some serious hermitville to finish this book, so hopefully the rest of this weekend will be delightful in preparation. Goodnight!

No comments: