Monday, February 29, 2016

swears she knew it, now she swears he's gone

I wasn't as hermity or as productive as I wanted to be today, and I'll blame the latter on the former. I woke up around 7:30, which was pretty good, but I only had an hour and a half or so to get some work done, and so I mostly did admin stuff (and procrastinated). Then I went downtown to the conference hotel - I didn't want to attend the conference itself anymore, but I had told Barbara and Bella that I would meet up with them to discuss some tings. So we sat in Bella's room for three hours and discussed those tings, which was all great, even if I probably should have been writing instead of indulging in my desire to hang out with other writers.

By 1pm, though, I was about to eat my own arm off, and Barbara's husband came to pick her up, so we adjourned. Bella and I ended up getting lunch at Wayfare Tavern, which was super delightful - I've been wanting to go there forever, but I never go to the financial district in normal circumstances, and when I do think of it, I'm never able to get a reservation. But walking in on a Sunday for a late lunch was totally fine. I've got to say that my burger didn't delight me - maybe it would have been better with the bun, but the combo of that particular type of cheddar on top of that much of that particular type of bacon didn't quite work for me. Or maybe I'm being overly critical because the burger was $22, and I've had a much more delightful experience at In-n-Out.

However, the restaurant itself was super cute, and their wine and cocktails looked great (although I didn't partake - Bella doesn't drink and probably already thinks I'm an alcoholic after seeing me at our writing retreats with the other residents of Martini Corner, and also it was 2pm, and also I need to keep detoxing after my month of fun (aka funth)). And if I ordered something else, I would probably be #inittowinit.

ssssanyway. Bella and I had a highly entertaining conversation, and she encouraged me to move to the north bay and said I could get married at her house once the pool house is done, so I guess that's helpful? I told her it would probably be more convenient for her to host my whole wedding than to fly to Iowa for it, which I think sealed the deal...especially since I had told her at some point in the distant past that Sonoma is the only part of California that my mom actually liked, so she said my parents would love it if I got married there. I think there are a lot of flaws with this plan (namely, I haven't locked down a date, or a suitor, and it's hard for a pool house to compare with the Round Barn). But it was still entertaining to discuss it, even though it was perhaps less pressing to find a wedding venue in comparison to other things on my to-do list.

Then I walked home, called my parents, and spent some time laying on the couch staring at my phone, since I needed to chill out. Then I ate supper, and then I meant to write....but instead I read a book for a contest I'm judging. It was super fun and cute, and I can't tell you what it is because I'm not supposed to divulge that, but perhaps I'll tell you someday when you've forgotten about this. I should have read all these books on the plane or on the beach, but I of course didn't, and now of course I only have a week to read them (when I should be reading my own book). But this one was short and I finished it in one sitting, and I've only got four more to go, so I think I'll make it.

But now I need to sleep - the foghorns are mournful tonight, which is an odd counterpoint to my happy heart, but hopefully that weird combo of drama + optimism will set the right tone for my dreams so I can write romance in the wee early morning hours before I go out for my lunch plans. Yes, I realize nine a.m. is not considered 'wee' in most places, but whatevs (and I actually plan to start writing at 7:30, but we'll see if I make it out of bed by then). Goodnight!

No comments: