Sunday, March 04, 2007

an almost-prophetic visit from a blindwoman

I turned on the TV on the Discovery Channel just in time to see a snippet of their controversial (mostly controversial because the science behind it is so bad) new documentary 'The Lost Tomb of Jesus'. It's a good thing that the menu on my TV said 'Lost Tomb of Jesus (NEW)' when the TV turned on, since the first shot I saw was a camera going up what looked like a suspicious cavity (aural? anal?) and a deep, dramatic voiceover saying 'we may have reached another blockage'. I snickered to myself. Now, I'm feeling myself getting sucked in--the science is bad, the logic is untenable, the graphics are ridiculous, the lead archaeologist is unkempt and clearly obsessed with his goal--in other words, it's exactly the right program for me!

Anyway, the rest of my weekend was v. good and v. solitary, which was just the way I wanted it. I was in bed by midnight Friday, after reading 'Dream a Little Dream' by Susan Elizabeth Phillips), woke up in time to have brunch w/Terry (she had wanted to have dinner Friday night, but I had just wanted to sleep, so blew her off and made up for it w/brunch), and then went to get a facial. Actually, it wasn't really a facial--it was a glycolic peel, which, for those of you who aren't up on your spa lingo, means that I paid a stranger a ridiculous amount of money to stab my face repeatedly in an attempt to clear my blackheads before pouring acid all over my skin and leaving me to burn. Soothing, eh? But, my skin looks much better today, so I may try to do this peel-thing more frequently.

After the burning, I bought myself flowers (yellow tulips and yellow/orange gerbera daisies). I came home, read a romance novel ('This Heart of Mine' by Susan Elizabeth Phillips), went grocery shopping, made myself a delicious smoked-salmon-and-avocado sandwich, then read another romance novel ('Nobody's Baby but Mine', once again by Susan Elizabeth Phillips).

---->Break: the show now has a cheesy reenactment of Jesus and Mary Magdalene, where Jesus is leading Mary Magdalene while she rides a donkey. Now Jesus looks like he's making tortillas. WTF?!?!

Back to me--today wasn't much more productive; I slept late, ran a couple of errands at the mall, talked to my parents, went to Target, came home, made dinner, and watched a couple of episodes of 'Numbers' (CBS lets Comcast show some of their shows for free on Comcast OnDemand). Now, I should be considering going to bed so that I can get up tomorrow and start the week. Hopefully this week will be less terrible than last week, but we shall see.

Finally, I just want to report that it seems to be marriage season, but none of my female friends have gotten the message; Chris and Victor both got engaged recently (Chris around Valentine's Day, Victor yesterday), John and Zach are both getting married in May, and Adit's practically a done deal as well. It's rather funny that most of my male friends are actively seeking commitment, while most of my female friends are about as far from committed as possible. What's up with that? I'm going to console myself by watching this idiot archaeologist--the voiceover just said 'he's interrupted by an almost-prophetic visit from a blind woman'. This is awesome! I can't understand why the 'New York Times' thought this thing was so bad! I'm going to watch it now, so goodnight!

No comments: