Saturday, March 31, 2007

fall into you is all i seem to do

Today was really stressful, primarily because I'm so damned busy at work that I can't even sit down long enough to check my email, let alone feel like I have a chance to do any work other than chilling in meetings all day. Unluckily my meetings today required a certain level of thought and engagement, so by the end of it my brain was completely fried and turned to mush. I hate feeling like I can't think, unless I've done it myself with too many vodka cranberries, so that was frustrating.

But, it's happily the weekend, and I left work with Terry around 6pm to watch 'Blades of Glory'. I recommend it--Jon Heder (aka Napoleon Dynamite) is hysterical, Will Ferrell isn't quite as annoying as usual, and I like that Craig T. Nelson was called 'Coach' all through the movie even though he's coaching skating rather than basketball. The movie had its ups and downs, but there were some truly classic scenes that made me laugh quite a bit. It also made me sad that I missed watching this year's figure skating competitions, so I'll have to get back into it next year.

After I got home, I was having trouble getting my brain to stop trying to reboot, so I decided to let it hibernate completely by feeding it a romance novel. I reread 'Earth Song', which I hadn't read in years--it may be one of the most hilarious romance novels out there, although it may not be to everyone's tastes given the sort of gratuitous aggression and mastery that is common in most medieval-period romances. I just like that it has a character named Gorkel the Hideous and that he breaks a man's neck by shaking him. It also reminds me of Katie, which in turn reminds me of simpler times, back when we used to row around the lake, slather contaminated mud on our faces, and drink orange sodas in the heat of the afternoon while the Amish watched us cavort in the water. Not that those things all happened on exactly the same day, but it's an amalgam of several v. touching memories.

Anyway, now it's time for me to go to bed--goodnight!

2 comments:

~Wamp said...

"I like that Craig T. Nelson was called 'Coach' all through the movie even though he's coaching skating rather than basketball"

Wasn't Coach a football coach instead of basketball, or is that my knock off vicodin talking?

Anonymous said...

Not only that young wamp, but the creator/writer on the show, Barry Kemp, based the character off of Hayden Fry (he was named Hayden Fox and coached at a Minnesota university).

Up your dosage, you're still coherent. :-)

~Lea in London

(P.S. I'd point ya'll to my blog but I don't keep one.)