Tuesday, March 10, 2009

ain't no thang

The fun continues in Maui! Katie and I are having a marvelous time. We spent the day on the beach, and while I successfully slathered myself in sunscreen, I missed the tops of my feet and now they're annoyingly burned. Not as bad as some other burns I saw today, though...both on fellow beachgoers and, more disturbingly, major burn scars on the backs of a fire-dancer's calves at the luau we went to tonight. I thought they turned the lights down for him to show off his cool fire moves, but it may have also been to protect the audience from the knowledge that he had clearly suffered majorly for his art at some point in the past.

The luau was fun...they had some awesome kalua pork that strangely reminded us of home, and while the mc was totally ridiculous, the dancers were fantastic. It would have been more awesome if the clouds had dissipated and revealed the stars, but you can't have everything you want.

My favorite memories of the day, in no particular order, are:

1) I bought a pair of sunglasses (I know, I have a problem). The saleswoman had told me that they were the only pair left and she intended to buy them if I didn't, which I thought was just good marketing. But then when I decided to buy them, she teared up and looked like she was going to cry! Weird!

2) We walked down to the luau, and I was telling Katie a story as we got off the elevator. When I turned around, she had disappeared...and I realized she had failed to get off the elevator with me! The staff an I all thought this was hilarious as we waited for her to come back.

3) At the luau, some poor dude got dragged up to dance, and I have never seen anyone lea able to move their hips. He was wearing a v. Southern Iowa outfit -- blue jeans and a denim shirt -- and Katie's insult was that he looked like he was from Leon, which is 30mins west of us. That's what I love about southern Iowa...everyone thinks every other town is trashy except doe theirs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the kalua pork most likely = spam

-tz