Monday, April 12, 2010

drifting, falling, floating weightless

I wasn't as productive as I should have been today; I had a lot of ideas floating through my head as a result of the workshop that I took yesterday, so I only wrote a couple of pages of my manuscript because I spent most of the day analyzing my scenes and plot structure and figuring out where things should go and what's missing. I also should have gotten up when I originally woke up at 8am, but instead I went back to bed and slept until almost ten -- probably necessary, but I could have used the extra hours.

I did manage to drag myself out of bed then, shower, and catch a MUNI to downtown. I spent a couple of hours at Samovar considering how things were going with my book and attempting to write, and then I went to Nordstrom and looked at swimsuits, ultimately buying one for my upcoming trip to Cancun. I cannot wait to go -- it has been raining like mad here today, and looks set to continue tomorrow, which seems cruel considering how gorgeous and almost-summery the weather was a couple of weeks ago. So, some sunshine and an opportunity to get a tan (or, more likely, a sunburn) will be very welcome. The waiter at Samovar who usually talks with me is from Cancun, and he promised to give me a list of things I should see when I'm down there if I come in again before I go, which was nice. Then again, he's the same one who asked if Tammy and Shedletsky were my parents, so he may not be the most observant guy ever and could unintentionally send us to a crack den that he thinks is a nice family establishment, so we'll see.

After I got home, I did the dishes, took care of a few things around the house, and called my parents; they were making supper (which sounded amazing), so our conversation was relatively short. Then, I spent the rest of the evening working on the book while watching some fine CBS programming. Adit turned on "60 Minutes" when he got home, but he fell asleep with the remote, and I was quite happy to watch "The Amazing Race" and "Undercover Boss" while he slept. He ultimately woke up and decided to drive south tonight to avoid the waterlogged commute tomorrow morning (smart kid), so I switched to Food Network and continued to work on my novel structure until now.

At this point, I think I'm just procrastinating by working on the structure; it's as close as it's likely to get for awhile, and I just need to write the damn thing (and write it quickly). This week should be good for that; the big boss is overseas, so while I have a lot of work to get done (and a work exam to study for), I'm going to work from the city for the first three days of the week, which eliminates three days' worth of commuting. So, I should be able to make some good progress -- I leave for Cancun in two and a half weeks, and while the goal seems somewhat crazy, I'd like to be really close to a complete first draft by then. We shall see, we shall see. Now, though, I really need to sleep -- goodnight! And happy birthday to Aunt Becky!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Casey's re:your April 2 post. That Casey's pizza you mentioned may be at risk. Casey's General Stores (CASY) has recived an unsolicited buy-out offer from French-Canadian Couche-Tard. Going for Couche-Tard Pizza just doesn't sound right, but then maybe we'll all get used to Couche-Tard crepes?

Slater

aunt b said...

Thanks for the bd call and shout out. Was fixing rather spicy shrimp tacos when I missed your call. Love you.

Anonymous said...

god, i effing hate that samovar waiter. but, be honest, wouldn't you rather end up in a crack den than a nice family establishment? -Tammy