Monday, April 19, 2010

everyone deserves a chance to fly

I was just realizing that it's a minor miracle that I didn't somehow get caught up in this volcanic ash mess. You might think that I'm much too far away from Iceland to realistically be affected -- but I did end up flying a day after the plot that resulted in a temporary/total liquids ban (flying 24hrs to India without toothpaste or contact lens solution was not fun), staying in Ireland an extra day due to a bomb scare in Dublin that made me miss my flight, going to London and riding all over the underground days after the 2005 tube bombings, etc., etc. And actually, a month ago I was planning to go to Dublin last week until my boss and I decided I should delay until May. So either my luck is turning, or I will end up going to Ireland in May just in time for an even more massive volcanic eruption that shuts down air travel for months.

I was pretty productive at work today; now that I've passed my exam and recovered from the intense cramming, I'm trying to plow through all the things that piled up on my to-do list. Since the big boss somehow made it out of Dublin on Friday (unlike the many other people in my company who were at the event that I almost went to, many of whom are now on a combination of ferries and buses on their way to the open airport in Madrid, poor suckers), she's in town this week -- and since I'm going to Cancun next week, I need to get a lot done. However, my productivity promptly ended as soon as I left the office. I tried to go to Cafe Borrone to write, but when I got there I discovered that they now close at five p.m. on Mondays (disaster!) I was starving at this point, and I ended up driving back south to have a burrito at Baja Fresh before coming back to the evil city. I intended to write when I got here, but instead I did some more work for the day job. And now, even though it's not even ten o'clock, I'm going to go to bed; I'm in a bit of a burrito coma, it's supposed to rain tonight (rendering my commute disastrous), and my new plan is to get up early and write in the morning before work since I failed to do it tonight. Goodnight!

No comments: