Sunday, April 25, 2010

the songmaker says it ain't so bad

I feel that I can't do justice toward today by recording it in standard blog-style prose. Quite simply, while it ended in a slow downward spiral, it was one of the nicest days I've had in awhile, and it's a good memory to sustain me through the initial shock of relocating to the suburbs.

After I went to bed last night, I slept for a couple of hours before being awoken by Adit bringing home some friend of his. They were both drunk, and they v. drunkenly (and v. loudly) made food and talked about business strategies until three a.m., at which point I passive aggressively went to the bathroom and said "no" in a small voice when Adit asked if they were keeping me up. I've done a lot of hard work to try to make myself less passive aggressive, but there are moments when I fail, and three a.m. is a time when I'm particularly susceptible to falling into my own wyas.

I was able to fall back asleep, but when I walked out the bedroom door at eight a.m. to use the bathroom, the first thing I saw was the random dude coming out of the bathroom wearing nothing but an ill-fitting pair of grey boxer-briefs. This was v. unexpected, since Adit is quite modest, but I survived nonetheless.

Upon second though, today was totally ridiculous. It was still nice, but I perhaps talked it up too much at the beginning. After I finally got properly woken up, I did the dishes while Adit cleaned up after his departed friend, and then I took a quick shower and got myself prettied up. Adit is in the process of selling his furniture, and so in quick succession we were visited by Sergio (who looks absolutely nothing like Sergio in the SNL sketch, unfortunately), and this woman who bought the coffee table. She was a classic Craigslist experience -- while she took the table and paid cash (good), she immediately asked to use the bathroom, then came out and asked me to come into the bathroom with her. It turns out she had gotten her period (fine), but the smell of whatever had happened before that was almost enough to make me throw up, and then she quite cheerfully announced to Adit when she came out that she's going through menopause and this can happen at any time, and if he's getting married he should get used to it. Then she ended up getting Vidya (who had arrived between Sergio and the woman) to carry her half of the table. Classico!

But after all that got sorted out, things went on a definite upswing. Vidya and I walked down to Mission Beach Cafe to put our names in while Adit showered; we waited for over an hour, but it was well worth it in the end. My department gave us each $100 that we could expense for a meal with a friend or family member, so I decided to use mine to take Adit and Vidya out for an expensive brunch. We succeeded in spending exactly $100 (although I put in an extra $3 in cash to round out the tip) -- we had two giant mimosas (equivalent of a bottle of champagne), a small quiche as a starter, three entrees (dungeness crab benedict for me, wild mushroom benedict and some version of huevos rancheros for Vidya and Adit), a slice of strawberry rhubarb pie, three coffees, an orange juice, and a glass of milk. Everything was delicious, and we stayed for at least a couple of hours -- long enough to properly enjoy ourselves, and long enough that I feel a little less sad that I'm missing Adit's last weekend here because I'm going to Cancun next week.

By the time we got home, it was around 3:30pm (long/late brunch, right?), and Vidya decided to go home while Adit and I watched the season finale of "Project Runway" (my favorite designer won!). Adit then took a nap while I began working on my book; I'm debating cleaning up the first three chapters for a contest, so I'm doing some historical research to see if I can fill in the blanks by the context deadline on Tuesday. We rallied to go out for dinner organized by Lily in honor of Adit's departure; I wasn't really feeling the going out (and particularly not the being hungover tomorrow), so I only had a glass and a half of wine, but everyone else (except Vidya, who also didn't have much) did this ridiculous all-you-can-drink wine dinner, which resulted in them all getting completely wasted. It was fun to hang out, but I realized that I didn't really want to go to another bar after that, particularly since I'm getting a massage and a facial tomorrow and I would like to be in good, well-hydrated shape for that.

This guy named Caca (not his real name, but I'll spare the real name to protect his identify) showed up at dinner late and visibly drunk already; with the all-you-can-drink dinner, he got beyond wasted, to the point that he could no longer figure out how to stand up or stay standing without assistance. So, Omar, Vidya and I managed to get him into a cab, and Omar got out with him at his street to try to get him back inside. Omar has not been heard from again, even though he was supposed to call me when he was ready for a ride, so hopefully Adit tracked him down instead. I did manage to take Vidya someplace more fun than my apartment, and then I came back here to curl up and get some sleep.

I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a good blend of productivity and relaxation; I want to write for awhile, get boxes, get some milk, and possibly do laundry (if not tomorrow, definitely Monday - it's getting desperate), but I'm also getting the aforementioned massage and facial, I want to check out the latest shoes (of course), I will talk to my parents, and Vidya intends to come over and watch a movie tomorrow night. So hopefully the combination of most of those things will happen tomorrow. Regardless, I think it's definitely time for bed -- goodnight!

No comments: