Tuesday, April 13, 2010

dreaming of suburbia

I was supposed to stay in the city all day today, but as I mentioned yesterday, I wanted to see an apartment in Palo Alto this afternoon, and so I drove down despite lacking any desire to go into the office. So, I worked from home this morning until traffic died down, got to the office a little after eleven, did some tings and had lunch with Heather (aka dear respected madam), attended the only meeting I had today, and then got out of the office in time to go to the apartment showing.

I fell in love with it immediately; granted, I may have swayed by how quickly I was able to get there from the office, but I was also swayed by the fact that it's a cute standalone house with hardwood floors, beam ceilings, a patio, etc. I'm worried that I'm destined to be heartbroken; there were several other people at the showing (an indication of how rare this type of place is on the rental market, since the guy just listed it yesterday and was doing a showing at 2pm on a Tuesday), so I just have to hope that I got my application in fast enough and that it sways the agent. I basically looked around, sped straight back to the city, filled out the application, and emailed him immediately (with a copy of a credit report and a paystub, hoping that would encourage him to take me right off the bat without checking out the others). We'll see -- if I don't get it, it's not the end of the world, but I will be v. sad about it for a day or two.

Anyway, after I took care of the application, I worked the rest of the afternoon (mostly studying for this annoyingly difficult exam I have to take at work on Thursday, to the detriment of the other things I should have done). I went to the grocery store and stocked up on milk and Amy's, then made myself a chai and wrote for a couple of hours. I'm working through the beginning of my story again; I really hate writing opening chapters, since they have to get a lot of info across (but not too much!), set the proper tone, engage the reader immediately, etc., etc. -- in other words, a lot of pressure. But, I'm pretty happy with what I wrote tonight, even if I procrastinated forever before starting, and hopefully I'll carve out some time to write tomorrow as well. Now, though, I need to go to bed; I wasn't going to go to Mountain View tomorrow, but I think I will anyway because I need to print a bunch of stuff and wouldn't mind sitting in my $800 ergonomic desk chair for awhile rather than slouching on my couch and straining my back. Goodnight!

No comments: