Friday, July 09, 2010

and now we murderers because we kill time

Today was lovely, although I'm not completely recovered from my travels. I did sleep almost nine hours last night, which was very much needed, and then I made it into the office for a ten a.m. meeting (I know, no great accomplishment, but it felt like it at the time). I slogged throughout the day getting ready for a meeting with the big boss that we should have had yesterday, but as it turned out, she has pinkeye (which I am quite familiar with, having seen it in the dorms) and so didn't want to tape the video that we were supposed to do today. We still met for almost an hour to discuss other issues, which was useful, and then I slogged the rest of the afternoon.

I meant to spend tonight industriously working on my book or unpacking my apartment; instead, I met up with Vidya for a v. extended drink/dinner extravaganza at Joya in Palo Alto. We met shortly after five p.m., and ended up staying for over two hours. Oddly, they seated us right in the front, technically inside but next to an entire wall open to the outdoors, where we could be viewed by any passersby. Despite the fact that we were both dressed rather unfashionably for the milieu, we didn't scare away any potential customers, and the seats gave us prime people-watching opportunities (like the time when I said to Vidya, "Look at that jackass", and there were so many jackasses crossing the street at that point that she had no clue which one I was referring to). I had two glasses of my favorite Gloria Ferrer blanc de noirs champagne, Chandlord had two glasses of malbec, and we split four tapas dishes and a dessert of churros with chocolate dipping sauce. We also got to see a bunch of little middle-schoolers arrive for what appeared to be a birthday party for one of them; they sat in the back drinking (what I assume was) fake cocktails and making me feel simultaneously ashamed and superior because of my more down-to-earth upbringing.

After Joya, we walked around for a bit; I tried to take Vidya to Borders, but she felt she was too loud for the place, and may have been offended when I kept pointing out political tomes for 'her' bookclub (clearly distancing myself from the bookclub that I am ostensibly part of as well). So we walked down University, then returned to our cars and parted ways. It was lovely to see her after a week apart; she continues to think that we need more friends, which I don't understand, since I'm totally psyched to spend tomorrow night watching another marathon of "Say Yes to the Dress" (what 28-year-old *wouldn't* want to do that?!)

When I got home, I should have worked, but instead I sent a few emails and then watched the last two weeks' episodes of Top Chef. And now, I really should sleep; tomorrow will come all too soon, and then it's oddly the weekend again. Goodnight!

No comments: