Tuesday, July 06, 2010

i swear i'll do my best to comply

I'm debating shutting down my Facebook account. I never log in anyway, and I'm not a fan of the fact that many of my 'friends' are people whom I haven't spoken to in years and likely never will again. There are a handful of people that I like seeing updates from, but given the strange etiquette around defriending/blocking people, it would be super weird to block people that I'm already friends with. So I can either let it go on forever without logging in, or I can delete it and move on with my life. No decisions have been made yet, but perhaps the day when I shake loose the chains of Facebook is coming...

Today was lovely; I woke up to Adit saying "Wamp" in my own house, which was quite unnerving since no one calls me "Wamp" here (for obvious reasons). My grandmother came over and we all had brunch before Adit and Omar took off on the next leg of their adventure. Adit was worried that they would hit traffic in Chicago, but they made it in less than six hours, which was pretty good time. So, after a great evening of socializing, they departed, leaving everyone quite satisfied. They seemed to have fun in ye olde Iowa, my parents continue to adore Adit and thought Omar was charming, and Michael, Katie, James, Amy and I had a ridiculous time with them last night. Unless I get married, this type of gathering may never happen here again, but the amount of fun we had may convince me to do something about the state of my relationships and start working more aggressively toward the marriage point.

First, though, I need to work aggressively toward the publishing point -- but I didn't do anything about it today. Instead, after they left, I took a three-hour nap. I spent a bit of time working this afternoon before attending the funeral of my family's favorite cat, who passed away after a brief but heartrending illness, and was buried in a pillowcase in the yard. Then, my dad and I drove down to my grandmother's to take her some sweet corn that we forgot to give her this morning; I didn't get to spend much time with my dad (or anyone else, really) on this trip since it was so short, so it was good to hang out (and experience his new truck in all its glory, with its heated AND cooled leather seats, backup camera, interactive touchscreen navigation/radio system, etc.) When we got home, my parents made dinner -- hamburgers, leftover potato salad, and the usual vast quantities of sweet corn.

And after procrastinating tonight, it's time for me to go to bed. I need to pack tomorrow morning, and I want to get up relatively early even though my flight isn't until six p.m. Goodnight!

No comments: