Sunday, July 11, 2010

tonight's gonna be a good night

I'm exhausted; I somehow packed a lot of unpacking and a five-hour wedding into the same day, which probably shouldn't have happened. I got up around eight and proceeded to unpack, arrange, and rearrange for the next five hours. The good news is that all of my books are finally unpacked and organized; the bad news is that there is still a lot left to be done. But, the progress that I made today was good, and I'll try to keep slogging ahead with it after work this week.

Eventually, though, I had to stop unpacking so that I could get ready to go to Tolu and Kristina's wedding. In terms of pure effort required to attend, this was perhaps the easiest wedding I've ever gone to; the venue was ten minutes away, and I was only invited to the reception. Since it started at 3pm, the attire was slightly less formal (although I did blowdry my hair in honor of the occasion), so I wore a fun dark pink jersey knit dress with a built-in 'belt' with some big purple jewels on it. Trust me, it looks better than I just made it sound. So I got to spend some quality time with Joann, Lizzie, Jane, Jen, and Justin -- these are some of the people that I do the "friendship renewal dinners" with every six weeks or so. Lizzie has been in the area for all of them, but is moving to Seattle in August and so will be dead to us; Joann just got back from a two-year stint in Singapore; Jane has been in the area for all of them as well, although she no longer works at the same company that Joann, Tolu and I do; Jen left the company a couple of years ago and has just finished business school (so I haven't seen her in ages, since she was spending all her time at Duke); and Justin displayed the most dedication that I've ever seen in a wedding guest. He left the company long enough ago that he's now entering his fourth year of med school in Portland, and he's doing rotations that start at 6am. Since he didn't have tomorrow off, he flew down here today, got to the reception right as it started at 3pm, and then left at 7pm to catch the last direct flight back to Portland. That's friendship right there.

The reception was lovely, and Tolu and Kristina are a great couple. Since I've been watching a lot of "Say Yes to the Dress" (and apparently missed a doozy of an episode last night, since both Joann and Aunt Becky made it a point to tell me about it), I felt more equipped to have an opinion on Kristina's dress, and it was absolutely beautiful on her. So, I'm glad that I was invited and got to hang out with my work peeps and with Tolu and Kristina well -- I love weddings!

When I finally got home, I watched a bunch of different on-demand episodes of a variety of reality shows (Throwdown with Bobby Flay, even though I hate him and the premise; Ace of Cakes; and a couple of episodes of Design Star) while continuing to clean and organize. And now, I must go to bed; I'm running up to the city tomorrow to take care of a couple of errands, but I need to get back down here in time to go to a birthday party, and I would like to get some writing done tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: