Tuesday, July 13, 2010

mouth is alive, juice is like wine, and i'm hungry like the wolf

Today was okay; not perfect in terms of productivity, but not terrible either. I slogged all day, with a break for lunch with Cody (one of the first people who ever reported to me) and a lovely interlude with Chandlord at Starbucks, before leaving the office a little after six p.m. Vidya was in fine form, as was the shirtless middle-aged man sunning himself on the Starbucks patio while reading a newspaper. Since we see each other so often, there aren't exactly a lot of new stories to share, but we somehow managed to keep ourselves entertained for an hour before she headed back to the city and I went back to wrap up some stuff at work.

After work, I came home and made some delicious chicken fajitas that almost put me to sleep. Then, I procrastinated on the internet for awhile before finally forcing myself to write ~1000 words of Madeleine and Ferguson's story. 1000 is good, but it's not enough; I really want to finish a first draft of the story before I go to the romance conference, but that would require more like 3000 words a day. That's doable, if I start focusing promptly when I get home, but it won't be easy...but it's a good goal to set.

So, help me stay accountable. I'm going to post my word count here every day between now and the conference. My current total word count is 48,006 words; I need to get to ~90,000 words (give or take 10,000). If I'm not tracking to meet that target by July 28, please beat me with a stick -- that sounds painful, but it actually might be preferred to the tactic I took while trying to finish my honors thesis in college, which was to get Walter to take away my shower stuff in the hopes that I would get so dirty that I would finish the thesis out of desperation (it didn't work).

But now, I need to go to bed so that I can get cracking on that audacious goal tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: