Tuesday, September 06, 2011

every teardrop is a waterfall

Today was one of those surface-lazy days when I appeared to do virtually nothing, but my brain was working overtime thinking about everything I want to do with my life. I have so many ideas, but committing to any of them is hard, because as Terry pointed out I have more ideas already than can be accomplished in a lifetime (since my ideas are rather grandiose and involved, and span completely different industries) -- and that means that committing to some ideas requires acknowledging that others will be left undone. Sigh.

But I'd rather have too many ideas than none at all, so I shall persevere. As I said, today was surface-lazy; I stayed in bed until almost eleven before eventually wandering downstairs and reacquainting myself with my absurdly expensive teamaker. I succeeded in unpacking some of my suitcase and threw in a load of laundry before showering, which is key for making sure I don't seem totally slovenly this week. After I showered, Terry and I drove down to Palo Alto; it may be absurd to drive down there on a day when I don't already have to, but there was no traffic today and we both wanted to go to Joanie's and the mall, so it worked out. Joanie's was excellent, as per usual, although I surprised them by getting eggs instead of my beloved cobb salad. The mall was also excellent; Terry laughed at the fact that the shoe salesman at Bloomingdale's recognized me and came over to say hi, but I swear that I've only bought from him once. I didn't buy anything today, however, since I'm trying to be a good little funemployed person and not spend money on frivolities (an easy claim to make, since I bought a bunch of clothes five days ago in Des Moines). Instead, I assisted Terry in looking for stuff, since she's going to Fashion Week in New York (that bitch), which was fun in its own right.

And then we returned to the city of sin, where I folded my clothes, procrastinated a bit, and then spent an hour in a chat room with my fellow romance award finalists. After I wrapped that up, Terry and I had dinner down the street, where we continued the discussion we were having in the car about entertainment, new media, business ventures, etc. Since one of my completely ridiculous lifegoals is to be a media mogul, this was v. timely. When we came home, though, we cast aside thoughts of business and watched the last two episodes of the second season of "Mad Men"; I'd seen them before, but they were entertaining nonetheless.

And now, I think I should go to bed. I have a date with destiny (aka Alyssa) tomorrow morning that I don't want to be late for, and I need to get back to the city after lunch so that I can write furiously and make some progress on the gargoyles before they come after me. Goodnight!

No comments: