Thursday, September 08, 2011

the sharp knife of a short life

I stayed up later than I intended; I made the mistake of picking up a book, which is never a good idea. Luckily, this blog is going to be short tonight since I have absolutely nothing of interest to report. Terry left for New York and Fashion Week (that bitch) today, and I dropped her off at the office so that she could take a cab straight from there later in the afternoon. Then, I proceeded to Palo Alto, where I worked out with Alyssa and caught up on life and tings with her while she tortured me for an hour. My workout was at noon rather than my usual ten a.m. slot, so by the time I showered, grabbed a salad at Joanie's Cafe, drove back to the city, and stopped at the grocery store, it was after four p.m. by the time I got home.

And, unfortunately, my productivity was pretty much shot. I did reread the first half of my first romance novel with some vague intention of thinking about how to change it someday to make it more publishable. And the odd verdict is that I like some of the dialogue/banter/characters in it more than I do Madeleine and Ferguson's book, but the pacing was off and there wasn't enough conflict to sustain the entire thing. It was an interesting lesson, if for no other reason than I want to apply it to Ellie's book (which has been lingering most sadly since I started the gargoyle book instead) -- I think I'm going to start alternating between working on the Regency book and the gargoyle book, since the days when I'm stuck with one may still be days that I can eke out progress on the other one. We shall see, we shall see. But now, I should sleep; I'm training with Alyssa again tomorrow, and then I have grand plans to be genuinely productive instead in the afternoon. Goodnight!

No comments: