Monday, September 05, 2011

party rock is in the house tonight

I freaking hate that stupid 'Party Rock' song, and can't wait for summer to be over if only so that this summer's unofficial anthem disappears into the swirling cesspool of human refuse in which it belongs. Ugh.

Beyond that moment of rage, I had an excellent day and am now curled up in my San Francisco bed. I didn't get up particularly early this morning, but 9:30am felt like a great sacrifice. I soldiered on, though, and had showered and packed most of my stuff by the time brunch was ready. My dad made our usual, albeit not so frequent anymore, Sunday brunch, which was a grease fest of fried potatoes, bacon, sausage, fried eggs, and blueberry muffins. Yummy yummy, even if Alyssa will be most displeased. After brunch, I packed the last of my stuff, put away my toiletries in preparation for my next trip, and bid a fond farewell to my Iowa room. Then, my parents took me to the airport and said a sad, although not prolonged, goodbye before I went through security.

My travels were blessedly quiet and uneventful; the worst person I encountered was a woman sitting in the Des Moines boarding area who complained loudly and with many uses of 'fuck' and 'bullshit' on the phone to an unknown party about how it was fucking bullshit that the airline let her choose her seat online and then wouldn't give it to her, which meant she would have to sit in the middle and would have to put her backpack under the seat in front of her. I thought it was fucking bullshit for her to have such a terrible attitude that she had to be such a whiny child in front of some visibly horrified little old ladies sitting next to her, but I suppose that's life.

After I got away from her, though, I had a great trip. I was upgraded from Des Moines to Denver, and spent the flight drinking coffee out of a real mug while writing my life plan (plans, I haz 'em, and they are grand indeed) and translating that plan into 1-, 3-, and 5-year goals. The 1-year plan is rather frontloaded, so I'm going to be a busy camper for the next three months. Smug with my success at writing a life plan, and arriving on time with an hour and a half to kill, I had two margaritas in Denver and started reading THE DARK ENQUIRY, which is the latest book in that Victorian mystery/romance series I've been loving. Pleasantly buzzed, I spent the flight from Denver to San Francisco reading as well, although the disadvantage of the iPad is that I lost approximately 30 minutes of reading time because the device had to be shut off for takeoff and landing. I'm about halfway through the book, but I'm actually going to save me from myself and go to bed without opening it again -- otherwise, I would read it all tonight in a hazy delirium of exhaustion and be wrecked for tomorrow.

Terry was kind enough to pick me up from the airport, and we caught up for an hour or so before adjourning to our respective rooms. She's going to New York for Fashion Week (that bitch) on Wednesday, so catching up now was vital. And now, I shall go to sleep so that I can get some stuff done tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: