Wednesday, September 28, 2011

we found love in a hopeless place

Hmm, what to say about today. It was quite leisurely, really, or at least the morning was; I didn't have to train with Alyssa until noon, and so I slept until nine, then spent a couple of hours putzing around and taking care of small tings so that I could focus on large tings later in the day. I also wrote one hundred-ish words of Ellie and Nick's story; it's unusual for me to write when I know I only have ten or fifteen minutes, but I'm trying to get better at writing when I happen to have a bit of time on my hands. I had to step away from the keyboard, though, and drive down to the glorious south bay, where Alyssa found new and unusual ways to torture me. Actually, she didn't really torture me; we did a lot of stretching, since I'm still having problems with my neck and shoulders, although her insistence that I hold a goblet squat for several minutes (twice) seemed more like sadism than healing. Still, we parted on good terms despite the goblet squats, so I suppose I'll see her on Friday.

Post workout, I showered and had a late lunch at Joanie's, where my salad was delicious but my concentration was utterly destroyed by some dudes having a political conversation (and judging middle-of-the-country people rather harshly) right behind me. So, I didn't get any writing done there as I had intended, but c'est la vie. I sped back to the city of sin, but since my training was later than usual I didn't get home until after four p.m. I then proceeded to squander some time on what felt like a useful endeavor - cleaning a few fountain pens so that I can use the luscious new inks that I got from my favorite online ink supplier. They're going out of business (boo), so I bought several inks from them on clearance, and they were sitting downstairs when I got home. The verdict is that I love every single ink I bought (hence the pen cleaning, since I want to use them all immediately). Then, I hole-punched the copy of my first book that I printed out this weekend so that I can read the whole thing and figure out how I might want to rewrite it...

...and came up with an idea for an alternate setup that made me almost giddy with excitement. I won't share it here, and who knows when or if I'll get around to rewriting it, but it was pretty winning. Terry discovered me contemplating the idea (in a way that surely made me look half crazy) while staring off into space and drinking a fruit smoothie, but I didn't scare her enough to drive her out of the living room, so I must have maintained some margin of sanity. I spent the next few hours taking care of stuff online while watching tv (the second half of the season premiere of "Two and a Half Men", which was awful, and an episode of "How I Met Your Mother", which was wonderful), and now I should go to bed. I'm talking to my agent tomorrow morning to decide my future (which is one of those grandiose, sweeping statements I love to make), and then I'm getting a haircut (which will hopefully not be another grandiose, sweeping gesture, although I do want to go somewhat shorter). Goodnight!

No comments: