Sunday, September 18, 2011

stella maris

I'm tired, but no more tired than I deserve given how late I stayed up last night (this morning) and how fitfully I slept in the sunlight. After going to bed at 5:30, I slept well until about nine, and then dozed off and on until noon. I don't know why, but for some reason every time I want to sleep in it's actually sunny in the morning here, rather than the usual fog until eleven or so, and today was no exception. I put my face mask on, but it wasn't a perfect solution, and so I finally rolled out of bed feeling groggy and completely wiped out. So I spent the afternoon puttering around the house; I emptied the dishwasher, cleaned off the patio table, played around online, drank some strong tea in an effort to revive myself, took a shower to revive myself further, etc. Terry and I are having people over tomorrow morning, so in the late afternoon we went to the grocery store to stock up on necessary ingredients. Unfortunately we went to two grocery stores and couldn't find a can of blueberries for my blueberry coffee cake anywhere, which was super annoying. So, I'm going to get up tomorrow and try the Whole Foods across town; if they don't have blueberries, I'll either whip up a lemon cake instead or buy muffins and tell everyone to suck it. Aren't I a charming and gracious host?

After the grocery store, we came home and watched some football for an hour or so (or rather, Terry watched football and I sort of half paid attention while messing around online and talking to my brother) -- I had to cheer for Oklahoma over Florida State, even though Iowa State likely won't be in the same conference as the Sooners for all that much longer. Then we walked down the street and grabbed burgers and an order of sweet potato fries at Roam, which was totally delicious. We made it home just in time for the Stanford/Arizona game, which looked closer than I would have liked at the beginning, but turned into a v. comfortable almost-blowout by the end. Terry went to bed at the beginning of the second half, but I watched the rest of the game while reading entries for a romance contest I'm judging; I still have three more entries to go (for that contest - plus another 5-6 for a contest due next weekend), but at least I read a few of them.

And now, I suppose I should sleep, even though my groaning bookshelves are beckoning me and asking me to read something like I did last night. I shall resist (I think). Goodnight!

No comments: