Friday, September 09, 2011

a sky full of lighters

I have a raging headache, which I realized is probably the direct consequence of only having one diet coke and no other forms of caffeine today. Boo. And now it makes sense that I took a long nap at the library while I was supposed to be writing this afternoon; without the sweet elixir of caffeine running through my veins, I was pretty much useless.

However, the day wasn't all wasted; I made it down to the gym in time to train with Alyssa, who ensured that I will remember her all weekend when I attempt to climb stairs. I grabbed a smoothie after working out to tide me over, and then went to the Palo Alto Borders for what is likely the last time. There isn't much left, and the scavengers are now picking over the furniture and fixtures; I believe all Borders stores will close within the next week, and I won't make it down there again before it does. I picked up another 15 or so books, so I've done my bit in helping them to liquidate; between the Palo Alto store and my hard-hitting trip to the Santana Row store a couple of months ago, I probably bought close to 100 books from them in the last six months. If only people had bought that many books from them at full price, they'd still be afloat -- but since very few of the books I bought were ones I would pay full price for, that's wishful thinking. I will miss Borders, but at least my bookshelves are now amply stocked for any upcoming apocalypses on my birthday.

After Borders, I grabbed a late lunch at Chipotle, then went to Stanford library, where I had grand plans to write a lot. I ended up writing less than a lot, only two and a half pages in the course of about four hours (the nap kind of ate into that time), but at least I made some progress, and hopefully I can move on from this difficult scene and get back to something fun tomorrow. I ate at the Coho (ridiculous), then came home and watched some Craig -- he had Julie Chen on the show on Monday, and I always love watching them together because they seem to have a lot of fun and he makes a lot of sly (or not so sly) digs at how she's married to the head of CBS. Then I watched tonight's "Project Runway", which was entertaining mostly because half the people hate each other and the other half are great designers, so at least there's a good mix of talent + drama this year. And now, I think I shall sleep, and set my teamaker to have some tea waiting for me when I wake up tomorrow so that I can crawl down and caffeinate myself before I die. Goodnight!

No comments: