Sunday, February 16, 2014

drunk in love

Today was awesome - much more awesome than I expected when I went to bed last night, since I just wanted to sleep for a million hours. Instead, I slept for ten, got dressed, had breakfast at my favorite place down the street in an effort to minimize my cooking endeavors, and then went shopping for important contributions to my kitchen. This includes a stop at BevMo for liquor + a stock-up on red wine, the party store for gold medals and paper plates, and Whole Foods for a shit-ton for produce and other overpriced but tasty goods.

Then I got home and started cooking in earnest. And by 'earnest' I mean that I made borscht. I made a double batch, which involved a lot of chopping, and I'm not sure I would have made it had I not had my food processor to shred the beets, carrots, and cabbage. But it turned out amazingly well - so well that multiple people asked for the recipe, which is not common for things that come from the darkest, beetiest heart of Mother Russia.

But I had vowed to be easier on myself at this party and not have to cook for all of it, which I mostly succeeded at - and I succeeded by not making the Olympic Rings Cakes (tm). I have no regrets; I was too tired to do them, and it would have been impossible to do them all today, and besides, there would have been a cake for approximately every four people at the party, which results in a lot of wasted cake. Instead, I made the borscht, and I got fruits in the Olympics colors and made chocolate dipping sauce, and there were chips and guac and salsa, so I think people survived.

And all in all it was super fun. Heather (aka dear respected madam) came in mid-afternoon to say hi after her hair appointment, but she couldn't stay, which was too bad. But I was able to take a break and hang out with her the whole time she was hear, and it was great to see her. Then I made gluten-free chocolate chip chewies, practiced making White Russians (I think I drank most of them anyway), and started organizing tings. The turnout was really good, especially for a winter Olympics that no one seems to care about very much. I spent the first half alternating between cooking in the kitchen and watching in the living room, and then I spent the second half (as per usual) holed up in the dining room with the usual suspects (John, Jess, Adit, Priyanka, Katrina, Vidya). But it was great to see Sarah, Tolu, Fred, Jamie, and all the rest. And Tammy (aka Tammmmmmehh) made a super special and relatively unexpected appearance, so maybe we'll be able to watch together again later this week.

But now I'm falling asleep on my keyboard - it's time for bed. Goodnight!

No comments: