Friday, February 28, 2014

storms are brewing in your eyes

Today was v. long. I woke up at sixish, put on my spiffy new workout clothes, and drove down to Palo Alto to train with Alyssa. The rain conspired with my email to make me late, but I saw a rainbow on the way there, so I suppose that was something good. My training session was also good, and it put me in a good frame of mind to conquer the day.

And conquer I did. My work projects continue to be totally, utterly ridiculous, but someone gave me a peer bonus for it, so that was nice. The peer bonus is mostly symbolic and perhaps wouldn't cover my champagne budget for the month, but I don't know if that tells you that the bonus is small or that I drink a ton of champagne. But it was still lovely to be recognized for all the expertise I've built up over the years. And my meetings were mostly good and I felt mostly like I did good things, so it was nice to leave work feeling that way...

...only to sit in traffic for an hour and a half. I took a break when I got home to have dinner with Terry, since we hadn't really seen each other in ages. But then I worked from 8:30 until 12:30, since I'm taking tomorrow off and that meant that I had to do all this stuff that a normal workaholic would have done over the weekend. I'm leaving for a writing retreat at an undisclosed location (aka Half Moon Bay) with Kathia tomorrow, and I'm staying until it's time to go to work Monday morning. So hopefully I'll make massive progress on Thorington. And while I wish that I had gone to bed three hours ago, I'm glad that I can now go write with a mostly empty work to-do list and a mostly-settled feeling about what I need to do next week. Of course, my personal inbox and to-do list are complete shitshows, but I've got to drop the ball somewhere, right? Goodnight!

No comments: