Saturday, February 08, 2014

i call her karma

Today was great, but I didn't do everything I had planned to do during the day. I have no regrets, though. I didn't sleep as much as I should have, since construction noise woke me up early, but I got some rest before dragging myself out of bed and into some clothes so that I could get a manicure. My nails now look fair and lovely, but it took longer than I thought it would, so it was almost 11:30 before I got home. Then I took a bit of a nap, took a shower, ate a snack, and was going to walk to the unconference thing for some selfpub writers that I was going to attend today (I should have mentioned before that I took today off from the day job). But I'm stressed about how far behind I am on Thorington's book, and my room was a mess, and nothing felt particularly orderly, and the idea of walking over to Fisherman's Wharf in the rain to meet with a gathering of writers that didn't include most of the people I wanted to see (the main stuff is tomorrow) filled me with just enough dread that I changed my plans.

So instead, I stayed home and did an awesome job of cleaning up my room and continuing to purge. I need to do a final purge of my closet and clean out my file cabinet, but overall I'm feeling much better and much more centered. I think being a hermit was totally worth it. But I abandoned my hermitage around four p.m. and met up with Kathia for a writing date; we talked for a bit, then wrote for an hour or so, and then had a cocktail at Izzy's. Her husband joined us, and I left them when I finished my drink (although they had almost finished their dinner by the time I left and my intention had been to let them eat without me, so I hadn't ordered a prime rib even though it would have been tasty). But I came home to Terry, who had picked up takeout from Roam for us, and so I got to eat some tasty meat/fries and watch the opening ceremonies.

My feelings about the ceremonies can't be condensed here, but I will try to do so by saying that the past that Russia displayed in their artistic retelling of Russian history was a bit...different than the past I learned about when I got my minor in history (which was basically a minor in Russian history and totalitarianism in general). So I am either the best person or the worst person to watch a Russian Olympics with. But I'm super psyched for the games, and even though I have writer stuff to do all day tomorrow (and a book to write all day Sunday, and really all this month), I'm going to spend some quality time with the tv over the next couple of weeks.

But now I'm exhausted and must sleep so that I can get eight hours and hopefully keep pushing my cold into its grave - goodnight!

No comments: