Saturday, August 23, 2014

when i look at the television, i want to see me staring right back at me

Thorington was pretty much all-consuming today, but it was v. slow going, and I didn't get the word count I'd hoped for. It wasn't for lack of trying, but I need to catch fire tomorrow if I have any hope of sustaining momentum through the week and turning a final draft into my editor next weekend. Since I have afternoon plans tomorrow, it would have been more ideal if I'd caught fire today instead, but c'est la vie.

That said, it wasn't all bad; I'm happy with what I did write, and I feel way more immersed in the story than I did yesterday. I woke up around seven, poured some tea and ate a snack, and worked in bed until almost ten. Then I showered and had breakfast down the street, where I stunned Tony (the owner) and the entire waitstaff by ordering an omelette instead of huevos rancheros. I knew this would stun them, and I had to say as soon as I walked in that I was going to order something else because Tony just starts the huevos as soon as he sees me walk through the door. I love that place. But the omelette was delish, and it didn't put me to sleep like huevos sometimes do, which was critical for my afternoon writing session.

After that, I ran a couple of errands, got a pedicure (and wrote a tiny bit while getting the pedicure, but I mostly just sat there and enjoyed a few minutes of not working), came home, and wrote the rest of the afternoon. But I slacked off around 5:30 to meet up with Kathia - we hadn't seen each other properly in awhile, and so we had a long, leisurely dinner at Des Amis. It was particularly good tonight, both because of the company (okay, almost entirely because of the company), and because we started with a delightful heirloom tomato salad and lingered over coffee at the end.

And then I came home, thought about writing some more, laughed at the thought, and procrastinated instead. But now I must sleep so I can get up early tomorrow and write before my afternoon plans lead me astray - goodnight!

No comments: