Sunday, August 03, 2014

but first let me take a selfie

I did not achieve Peak Thorington today (which would equal five to seven thousand words), but it was a great day nonetheless. I slept for eight and a half hours or so, woke up, had some tea, and reread a big chunk of the manuscript to get back into it. Then I ate breakfast and pondered the story while spending the next three hours cleaning my room - I hadn't unpacked from my trip, and everything was feeling v. cluttered anyway, so it was time to clear things out and refresh everything. I haven't tackled my closets yet, but three hours was enough time to get to my desk, library cabinet, and file cabinet, which was v. important for my productivity.

Then I tried to write, but after getting a gluten-free sandwich at the grocery store down the street, then settling in with a latte at Rapha, I wasn't totally in the mood. I know this is just a matter of getting started, since I'll be fine once I get in the groove again, but I didn't really feel like working. So I came home, messed around with one of my fountain pens, took a nap, and then went to my salon to get my bangs trimmed. As it turned out, my appointment was the very last appointment of the day (I usually don't go on Saturday evenings), but my stylist took care of me well despite the fact that they could clearly all get the hell out of there if she rushed it.

I then went to Whole Foods, which is across the street from the salon, and was about to buy sushi for dinner so that I could have a v. hermity night (I was thinking eating sushi and watching 'Thor', which sounded kind of like heaven) when I got a text from Adit asking about dinner. So I put away the sushi (but still bought the New Orleans iced coffees that Blue Bottle has started making in little single-serve milk cartons), scurried home, and had just enough time to put everything away before he, Priyanka, and Chandlord rolled up and took Terry's parking spot so that we could have dinner in my neighborhood.

And you'll be surprised to know that I confined myself to three drinks, despite Adit's influence. We had a v. lowkey dinner at Roam, which I'm guessing has the best veggie burgers ever since Adit actually suggested it as the place he wanted to go. Of course, my meat burger was tasty, and we split truffle fries, so that was all great. Then I let myself be peer pressured (it didn't take much) into going to Cafe Soleil (near where Adit and I used to live) to meet Jesse and Maya. They recently had twins, so I haven't seen them since Chandlord's birthday party (December), but we had a great time. We had wine there before getting booted at closing time, so we adjourned to a new bar (ABV?), where I had some cocktail made with mezcal and wished, for once, that I'd ordered whisky instead. Maybe my palate is finally overcoming the PTSD induced by memories of the Three Wisemen shot Adit gave me years ago (sometime around February 14, 2005, to be exact).

But now I should sleep - while today was a v. necessary quiet day, with enough cleaning to clear my mind of my churning thoughts, it would be great to get some writing done tomorrow. And to that end, I have a writing date with Kathia at nine a.m., so sleeping now would be a good idea. Goodnight!

No comments: