Wednesday, September 24, 2014

babe you got the beat right

omg I must go to bed immediately...today was a very, very long day. I tried to get up early to write, and while I was up by around 5:45, I somehow took this as an opportunity to dilly-dally, and so I didn't get out the door until almost seven. This was still early enough to make it to campus around eight, but I just ended up having a nicer breakfast than usual, since I burned the extra time by going to a cafe where they would make me eggs rather than forcing me to subsist on the (premade, already shelled) hard boiled eggs that I eat for breakfast in the cafe nearest me every day. I know, I'm ridiculously spoiled. I also had to do some day job work, so I did that over breakfast. And then I went to the day's activity - a manager offsite (which continues tomorrow). These things are always pretty draining, and I was already tired, so I was in for a miserable time...

...but it wasn't miserable, even though I am still (and increasingly) tired. We had an exercise in the morning, then had lunch at the Indian place on campus, which was good except it was all veg, and I can't eat all veg without substantially more protein than was available. So this other attendee and I snuck out early and drove to another cafe, where we cleared out all the chicken in their salad bar in an attempt to get our protein levels up. Ha.

The rest of the afternoon was also good...I managed to get a latte during our v. short fifteen-minute break because one of my coworkers was hanging out in the coffee bar outside the offsite and I was able to ping my order over before all of us swarmed the baristas. And then I had to do an exercise in front of the whole group (try to coach our director for 20-30 minutes), which I think went pretty well. The rest of the afternoon was good, albeit draining. And then I did some work, had dinner with the group (and more wine than was strictly necessary), and am now going to bed. Before you worry about my wine comment, know that I'm holed up in a swanky room in the Palo Alto Westin, where they put me up tonight despite the fact that I live out here - it was simultaneously completely unnecessary and v. much appreciated. So I was able to walk to dinner and enjoy myself, and tomorrow it should only take 20-30 minutes to get to work, which is a super luxury. But now I want to take advantage of this opportunity to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: