Tuesday, September 02, 2014

i came to win

So I turned....something in. It's not done. I gave my editor the first half and told her I'd send the rest tomorrow, but even the 'rest' isn't done (I still haven't written the last five chapters). But I'm pleased with the progress I made this weekend, and particularly yesterday and today. There was a lot more that I needed to rewrite in the first half than I had remembered, so today was mostly an exercise in cleaning up what I had, rewriting several scenes from scratch, etc.

All in all, I feel pretty good about where the book is going, and I have almost a month (well, twenty-five days) to finish it in time to get it done for formatting and uploading in time for my chosen release date, so I think I can do it. This is still going to be a brutal slog, but the plan is to get the most brutal slog out of the way this week so that I can enjoy my birthday week. Good plan, right?

I might have gotten farther this afternoon if I hadn't spent time doing non-writing things, but it couldn't be helped. The first was meeting with my marketing person; I didn't really have time to do it, but if I didn't meet with her today she's too stuck to keep going on her own, so it kind of had to happen. Then I came home, took a v. necessary, life-restorative nap, and went out again to have dinner with Katrina, Chandlord, and Jesse in honor of Katrina's birthday (slightly belatedly). Katrina doesn't enjoy celebrating her birthday, which makes sense considering how obnoxious most of our friend group (myself included) can be to the person who is the center of attention, but I'm glad that we were able to have a lowkey dinner and celebration at Nopalito. I hadn't seen her in approximately three months, which is way too long, but this was a great evening and a lovely way to honor Katrina while not seeming to do anything at all. Yay!

And then I came home, worked for an hour and a half, and am going to go to bed before I die. I may get eight and a half hours of sleep before work tomorrow, which would be a miracle - and then I need to slog brutally at the day job so that I can catch up from my vacation. Goodnight!

No comments: