Friday, September 12, 2014

just another heartache on my list

I was v. lazy today, but that was both a) to be expected, and b) something I actively encouraged myself to do so that I could prepare for the slog ahead. I got up at a reasonable hour, showered, and suffered through unexpectedly bad traffic to get to the office. As I mentioned last night, I really only went in because I'd pulled a prank on someone yesterday and wanted to be there to see the reaction - in retaliation for the post-it notes that covered my desk last week, I took the time to show I cared by saran wrapping everything on the person's desk. And by that I mean everything, individually wrapped, and placed back in its original location. Of course, I got some help from some v. willing (and v. evil) teammates, but it was just pure luck that the saran wrap I'd ordered arrived from Amazon the day that the target happened to be working from home.

So, the reaction was excellent (and by that I mean amused), but if the threats I've heard are true, I expect that this is going to escalate again. I'm not really concerned - in fact, I feel more gleeful anticipation than concern - but it will certainly make for some added paranoia on the days I choose to work from home.

sssanyway, I worked for a couple of hours, then had lunch with a coworker (which involved a nice walk in the sun to main campus), and then left the office thinking that I would beat traffic. But even by leaving at 12:45pm, it took an hour and a half to get home - and it's a miracle that I made it, since the last thirty minutes of sitting at a near standstill was enough to very nearly put me to sleep. But I survived, got home in time to take my last meeting of the day, did some more work, and took a nap (I'm a model employee).

The rest of the night perhaps should have been devoted to writing, but instead I talked to Terry, walked down the street to get an iced latte, and enjoyed the latte while sitting out in the sun. Then I bought some groceries, came home, made chili (the first thing I've cooked in months, it seems like), ate the chili, considered Thorington, and instead bought some toiletry-type things for my upcoming Germany trip. And now I'm going to go to sleep so that I can hit the writing hard tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: